Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gearbox grenaded. Can't say I didn't expect it. It's been making some weird noises for a while. So far the plan is to have a new one dealer installed. It just looks like too much of a job for me considering what else I have going on. A fairly local dealer happens to be running a service special in Dec and will change it out for a couple hundred more than I offered one of our mechanics here at the store to do it. (He took a look and declined). Anyway....they're gonna do the engine removal thing and I wondered if there was anything else I should have done at the same time...like coolant hoses, etc?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Maybe some new hose clamps. Check the u-joints. You might want to service your clutch - around the time I swapped gearboxes I went with sealed one way bearings, replaced the clutch buttons (they were making a ticking noise) and the the clutch rollers (they were starting to flat spot). How many miles are on the machine?

If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging? I replaced my gearbox before and I agree, it's a huge PITA. But I didn't want to dump any more money in it after buying the gearbox.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're charging $700 labor, cash or check only, before Dec 31. A lot, I know. They say flat rate calls for 9 hrs and their regular rate is $110/hr. I hear ya about not wanting to dump any more money into it and believe me...I printed out and studied your most excellent tutorial on the process but in the end just couldn't justify tackling it myself. I really can't keep my garage/shop tied up for an extended period with cold weather upon us here and I don't completely trust my ability or tool collection either. I'd hate to get to the point of no return and be overwhelmed. I plan on keeping the thing for a while and it's in good shape otherwise. I've got a co-worker who has been buggin me to sell him a Honda Odyssey that the grandkids have kinda gotten tired of (and that I'm too old to climb in and out of) so that will get me in the vicinity of half way to the total.
Just turned 3000 mi. I'd just done some work in the clutch area. New one-ways, new bolts, new spring and helix on the secondary, removed the pins and springs from the engine braking, new belt. Hadn't thought of the u-joints. They're still taking grease but that would definitely be the time to replace them. One thing I was wondering about...the starter. It has given no indication of a problem but it looks like a real bitch to replace.

·
Super Moderator
24,826 Posts
I would have came out and done the work for 500$ and couple good meals but being your paying 700$ I’m good with that. There’s not a shop in this world worth 110$ a hr. When the guy doing the work is getting 10$ hr or less to do the work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally hear ya and agree....even though we charge $105 here. (CaseIH dealer) It's a little different with bigger machines though. Each road service truck is $200K and even our grunts start at $15. $500 is what I offered one of our guys to do it...and I trust his ability...but he just didn't feel comfortable trying it. Being mostly a rural area, there were few other options. I admire true DIY'ers and feel a little guilty about not trying it myself because 10 years ago I would have jumped right in.

·
Super Moderator
24,826 Posts
It’s not as hard as it looks . Lol Slowindown would do it again and not complain other than the cost of another gearbox. Lol

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Oh I might complain, Ace! Lol

I don’t blame you though Thunder for not doing it yourself. Ace is right, it’s not as bad as it looks. But it wasn’t exactly fun. $700 is not unreasonable. Many pay more.

As to the starter, I’m not sure if the gearbox has to be separated from the engine to remove it or not. Nor do I know if they’re known to fail. But it’s a good question.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've felt better about the thing since I made the decision. Things sitting around in disrepair worry me and I wasn't seeing a easy solution. It's not what I wanted to spend money on as I go into retirement in Jan but it's not like $700 is a life altering amount. It didn't make sense to sell or trade it broken so here I am. I intend to enjoy it next year. When running it does everything I want one to do and it's still the most comfortable UTV to sit in and drive that I've ever been around. Just the day before I'd added a pretty cool set of improvised turn signals for the 1/4 mile of highway I have to travel on every time I leave the place with it.
If I read correctly you don't have to separate the engine and gearbox to replace the starter but you do have to remove the clutches and back plate. This thing is the least user-serviceable piece of equipment I've been around in 45+ years of being around machinery.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....I got it back today. The difference is amazing. Apparently this gearbox had problems all along and I just didn't realize it. The new one is incredibly quiet. The crazy whining noise that I just assumed was the rear differential noise that everyone mentions...is gone. There is a whining noise coming from the rear but it's NOWHERE near what it was. The dealer was very easy to work with. They kept me posted on how the process was going and finished the job within $20 of their estimate. They mentioned a few things I might wanna keep my eye on but didn't try to pressure sell me into more repairs. They did suggest a belt that I don't think I really needed but I was ok with that. I had a good feeling about the place after I talked to them and so far, so good. He did say that if it still had a little air in the cooling system and ran a little hotter than usual for me to call him and he'd give me some tips on bleeding the air. I've read enough on here to have a pretty good idea on how that works. Anyway...I'm back on the road. Wallet is certainly lighter but the cloud of despair has lifted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So how many miles were on your rig, when the gearbox failed? Seems as if there is a lot of chatter on here about this subject. Just wondering how long till something like this could happen.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3052 miles and 401 hrs...but I really think there has been a problem with it since I got it a year ago with about 2100 mi (IIRC). I always thought it was unusually noisy but being a Can Am newbie and reading various things I assumed that was just the nature of the beast. To further confirm my suspicions about prior damage or abuse, the dealership told me that when they removed it there was a neatly folded small black towel under it and JB Weld along a crack in the bottom.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you just discovered why the previous owner sold it. Dirty pool that was, sorry to hear you got stuck with that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...suppose so. Oh well. What puzzles me is where the JB Weld was located. I don't see any way he could have put it there without removing the gearbox but the shop said it appeared the gearbox had never been removed.
Bottom line is...I'm still happy with the machine and hope to have a lot of fun with it when I retire. I've been pretty lucky, vehicle-wise, in my life so I guess I was due for a little bad luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would have came out and done the work for 500$ and couple good meals but being your paying 700$ I’m good with that. There’s not a shop in this world worth 110$ a hr. When the guy doing the work is getting 10$ hr or less to do the work.
Every shop in Ak. I've been quoted $9-1200 for this job. Been waiting 3 weeks to get it done. Local Can Am service guy asked me if it was a 450 or 650 after I told him exactly what it was. Then he said "It's probably about a 4 hr. job". Then I told him to forget it, because he clearly had no clue. I'm starting to think I may just have to do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
24,826 Posts
They really have no clue. You can do it little sweat and blood and you will be done in no time !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts