Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 13 Commander X, I am on my third belt. The first one was put on by previous owner and was told it was probably the wrong one. The next two I put on and get about 200 miles before it shreds. Looking to see if I am missing something. I checked for burrs and found none.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Mine was on its second belt at 250 miles. I disassembled the clutches and cleaned it, replaced rollers, buttons and got the weights working real good. The original owner had gotten mud and water in the clutch several times (I replaced the 11/12 7 perimeter bolt inner and outer cv covers with the newer 13 perimeter bolt style - the 7 bolt ones leak). Also I scotch brighted the sheave faces. I then put a new brp maverick belt on it. That was 2500 miles ago and I’m still running that belt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check for a plugged belt exhaust. If debris is not cleaned out from the shredded belt it will cause excessive heat.

Neil.

·
Super Moderator
24,209 Posts
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but if you run those belts they are going to blow. Until you blow a good belt no way to be sure if it’s clutch or a belt issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but if you run those belts they are going to blow. Until you blow a good belt no way to be sure if it’s clutch or a belt issue.
Thanks, will get one from dealer, once I get cover off

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If you can’t get the bolt off any other way, get your socket on it and turn it with an electric drill. The nutsert will spin in the hole and friction will melt the plastic around it until you can pull it out. Then you can take the nutsert off of the bolt and either glue it back in or go back with a regular nut and bolt and washers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, I got the maverick belt and what a difference. Put 30 miles on to break it in and it seems to be holding up. I also found that the snorkel kit was never cleaned and all debris was in the exhaust tube for the belt. I cleaned it but still clogging with fine particles so I've removed that screen and am having no problems. I ran it hard and no issues. Going to take cover off to visually check, hoping for the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts