Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 Commander 1000 (250 miles, 2in lift, 2in wheel spacers, twin air filter kit, 30" tires) has horrible belt squealing. I have replaced the belt 3 times and its quiet for about 50 miles then starts squealing again around 30mph or 2500 rpm, its not the rear end because it will do it in park by just reving the engine. I had UATV do the lock up mod, upgraded one way bearing, custom springs and weights and another new belt. It does accelerate better for sure but the noise is back and 80% of the time I cant shift through the gears(P,R,N,H,L) with the engine running. If I turn the engine off then it shifts just fine.... Please help this SXS is driving me nuts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Are you getting burned belt residue on the sheaves from slippage? It is the general consensus that 30 inch tires are a bit much for the stock clutch and other components.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its not a stock clutch, UATV sent me different springs and custom grind my weights for my altitude and tire size. Yes there is a decent amount of belt residue. I have been using the Gates C-12 belts. They are a fairly light weight tire, Quadboss QBT846 37/38lbs

·
Super Moderator
24,547 Posts
30” rubber is hard on the stock clutch . And I would switch to the mav belt being the gates isn’t working for you. Some have no issues with gates c12 most do. And sense you are running 30” rubber you definitely need to get your clutch locked or get aftermarket clutch .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read above: I did have UATV do the lock up mod, sealed one way, custom clutch springs and weights were grind to my altitude and tire size. I will try the Mav belt

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's still a stock clutch(with modifications). With 30 inch tires, it's not only the weight, but the additional circumference of the tire that adds load to have to move.

·
Super Moderator
24,547 Posts
Need to pull the cover off start it up and watch the primary if it’s trying to turn or turning the belt while idling that’s why you can’t shift. Guessing the c12 belt is to wide if you have changed everything else . Check it again before you take it off then before putting it back together with mav belt on see if it’s doing the same thing . I the weights are sticking it will try to keep belt engaged. So if c12 is wider than factory which in most cases it around 1mm wider it won’t help matters . You lose a lot of gearing going from 27” to 30” rubber . Most that run 30” are stuck with running low gear most of the time .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh ok I got ya, what options are there for aftermarket clutches that are different? There are no clutch kits out there for my altitude ( 7000ft - 11000ft) thats why I had UATV do their mods. After reading I am going to order some of that WS2 stuff to add to my gearbox to see if that helps with my shifting problem. How do you know how much to add? I just ordered the Maverick 422280364 belt and I will regrease my one way even though its brand new.

update I found a 212 belt, should I order that one or is the 364 the same?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 30" tires dont seem to have robbed me of much power, in H it will throw you in the seat and still does 65mph. Im sure if I was using big heavy mud tires that would be different but here in Colorado there is no need for a mud tire.

·
Super Moderator
24,547 Posts
Doesn’t matter how it feels . 3” of rubber is big difference in gearing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand that but I had the belt issues with the stock belt and stock 27" tires within the first 100 miles. Im not trying to argue with you all, I appreciate the input. I just want the damn thing to quiet down and shift properly. The 30"s only measure about 29" so maybe I will just go to a 29" that will probably be closer to 28". I would just trade it in on an X3 or RZR but i really like the dump bed for work around my property

·
Super Moderator
24,547 Posts
The aftermarket clutches give you a smaller oneway that in turn gives you a lower take off gear . There several brands out there but of course they are never cheap. They can be tuned for elevation and tire size . But again I would try out the mav belt before going any farther with clutching . Troy is running the mav turbo clutch on his commander with 30” mud tires . Haven’t heard him complain about belt issues. And he does have a heavy foot. All you need with it is the inner sheeve and the governor cup . Then use your springs and weights . Might send him a pm and pick his brain .

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tried the Gates C12. Had the same problem as you Squealing and Belt burning. . I have stock tires and mods in sig. Went back to BRP belt. No more problems.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Oh ok I got ya, what options are there for aftermarket clutches that are different? There are no clutch kits out there for my altitude ( 7000ft - 11000ft) thats why I had UATV do their mods. After reading I am going to order some of that WS2 stuff to add to my gearbox to see if that helps with my shifting problem. How do you know how much to add? I just ordered the Maverick 422280364 belt and I will regrease my one way even though its brand new.

Pretty sure these are the same belt, just a newer part number.

·
Super Moderator
24,547 Posts
Yeah same belt . Lots of online sales show it to be a 212 but 364 will be what actually shows up in the mail.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

Order the WS-2 in pre measured amounts or the M-3 oil change kit on my website.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not finding the M3 oil change kit, I already ordered a 2ounce bottle of it. Can you message me the pre measured amount ? I already spent $650 with you so I m not asking for free advice :)

FYI the cheapest place I found the 364 belt was on Rocky Mountain ATV $120

·
Super Moderator
24,547 Posts
You got a deal I pulled it up the first time it show 117 and sone change . But for some reason it reverted to a renegade 360 belt. Went back and d
One it again and the 364 was 135. But haven’t seen one for 135 in several yrs. so still a good price .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so I took it all apart cleaned and regressed everything , installed the 364 belt and in park and neutral both primary and secondary spin in any of the gears it stop spinning but wants to ( it jerks back and forth). When I had the lock up mod done they sent me a low engagement spring, I think it’s too soft and is compressing at idle . I was going to install stock primary spring and leave the upgraded stiffer secondary spring that they also sent .... does it sound like I’m on the right track?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve also installed a belt temp gauge and wrapped my exhaust to help with temp

1 - 20 of 32 Posts