Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with the seat belt retractor releasing when trying to extend the belt. Even with the slightest, slow pull on the strap it will lock and prevent the belt from feeding out making it almost impossible to get the belt buckled. I lubed the retractor with WD-40 but that didn't help. Anyone experienced this and got a fix?

·
Super Moderator
23,714 Posts
Probably dirt and dust . Need to remove the plastic cover then clean really good. Adding the wd will just make it worse .

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just suck my gut in......I've gained 30 pounds since I quit smoking. You could beat the crap out of it.....I learned that while I lived in Alabama. You could contact brpcare. They are a member here. Just give them your username, vin number, a link to this thread, an e-mail, your personal information, a description of your problem, and mention this forum. You might want to try my second suggestion. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course, brpcare! I should have contacted them first. I hear they really care and provide free immediate service.
I can forget about sucking my gut in that far. When I can only retract it an inch at a time everyone else is long gone by the time I get it buckled.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have removed the plastic cover and removed the dirt with no improvement. There is also a cover on both side of the assembly that state "Caution Do Not Remove" on both sides of the assembly. Has anyone one had the balls to remove them? The cost of a replacement is $250 and I wonder if removing the side covers would prove to be fatal.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Probably a small tactical nuke triggered by their removal.

You can probably find a used one on ebay. Its probably not too common of a problem. My machine is an 01 and they still work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retractor was useless as is so figured I'd have nothing to lose by taking it apart. So ignoring the Caution that the lawyers put on them I removed the side covers - and lived through it. Maybe the nuke was a dud.
The left side cover is the explosive one, it contains the coil spring that retracts the belt back on to the spool. I was able to carefully remove this without killing my wife, dog or myself. The garage is still standing.
There was some dirt in it so I removed the coil spring and cleaned it up. Rewinding the spring into the unit and reassembling it was also not a big deal.
The right side contains the mechanism that latch the retractor and that was what was keeping my belt from unwinding off the spool. There are no springs or other explosive parts that will kill you. There are also no loose parts the can fall out and make you wonder where the hell they came from.
There was quite a bit of dirt in the latching mechanism which I cleaned out. I did not put any type of lube on it thinking that this would just hold the dirt in more than being dry. Retractor is now working properly again. So if anyone has this issue remove the right side cover and clean the junk out. If the belt is rewinding properly there is no need to remove the left cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts