Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know alot of you guys have questioned what exactly was happening when i machine the secondary for the CVtech primary. the CVtech primary will fit on your machine and run fine without the secondary machined, but owners who want the best gains, the machined CVtech primary coupled with the secondary machining will give the best gains! when i machine the secondary, i make the secondary close up further, so it will get the belt higher in the secondary, to give max low end gains and properly tension the belt. with the secondary not machined it will max out its throw before it gets the belt to the max tension not allowing the belt to get any tighter as it wears down. after the secondary is machined it will close up more, squeezing the belt tighter, and higher in the secondary. the CVtech primary alone will give you about 18% lower gear ratio. with the secondary machined it will increase the low gearing to 22-25% lower gear ratio along with keeping the belt tight at all times and never letting it run loose. also, i do all of this, without changing the sheave angles, to keep the belt contact patch constant

here is a picture before the machining to a bone stock secondary

now here is the pictures, showing the secondary machined and showing how much more it will close up. this 2mm more closing ability will put your belt nearly 5mm higher in the secondary than it will go before the machining. this will get your belt nearly 1/4"-5/16" up out of the top of the secondary giving you max low end.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
thanks Adam for the pics and explanation...you know that the more of us that are educated on your clutchs and why you machine them the way you do... the more you are going to sale... after all once we leave some one in the dust at the bottom of the hill, they are going to ask us what we have done and why we have a " Torque Monster "... LOL :p :p

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I'm a little confused. How is it we get more speed with a gear reduction? I thought it would be the opposite? What is the RPM difference compared to stock? Also, do the aluminum sliders affect top speed at all? I ask because using lighter sliders I would think it would spool up quicker but have less grab?

·
Registered
547 Posts
i know my rhino when you put lighter sliders you had more low end but the engine(without head work ) would not let you get the same top speed. i bet the commander doesnt have that lack of power though. we will see what Adam says

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at idle the belt will be riding on the one-way bearing in the primary in the base of the clutch and riding at the top of the secondary. that is your low end. the lower in the primary it is, and the higher in the secondary it is, the lower the initial low gear will be. and just the opposite on top speed, the higher in the primary it goes, the lower it will go in the secondary. this is the final drive ratio thru the clutches at top speed. when i machine the secondary i also do my modification for more top speeds. this will net you 55mph in low range at 8100RPM (rev limiter) and give you the gearing to run 91-92mph at 8100RPM if we get past the 74mph speed limiter which i am also working on! this clutch gives you MORE low end and MORE top end as well. you gain nearly 25% lower gear ratio over stock, and also gain 20% more top end gear ratio over stock. this will give you the ability to run faster!

on the 3 machines i have tested now, both ran 73-74mph at 8050-8100RPM after my CVtech primary and machined secondary, the two i actually got back up to top speeds were running 74mph at 7250-7300RPM meaning if you are a top speed kinda guy, you will be running less RPMs to keep the same speeds. and once we get past the speed limiter, we'll be able to go LOTs faster.

the aluminum sliders are not a hindrance. i machine them and teflon coat them, as well as lube the actual slide with a thin film of moly grease as well. the aluminum sliders should not effect performance one bit, as i have tested plenty of them and not seen any ill performance. however, i believe i have sold my last stock CVtech cover for commanders. i have been waiting on the new plates to come in from final heat treating. these new plates are nearly bullet proof, and run a nylon/graphite composite slider. i have over 191ft/lbs of torque on one machine with this setup, the new plate and sliders and the plate held up great. i have 5 of these plates out in testing, and the least amount of power any of the machines has is 77whp, with 2 of them on 100+whp machines and none have had a minutes issue. the new plates are extremely costly, since they are machined from solid billet steel and then treated. you dont even want to know what each cover costs but i am going to sell the clutches, with the bulletproof covers, completley setup, and ready to bolt on, for what the normal clutch with aluminum sliders costs. yes it is a little more, but i think i can get away with $850 on the clutch and bulletproof cover which is what i was charging for the normal cover and upgraded sliders.

i am sure greg and john will both jump in and say how this clutch is overpriced and you can run an STM 3 weight primary for that costs, and they are telling the truth, BUT the STM is not the same. the STM needs belt deflection to run, which is slipping the belt at idle, which on these heavy machines will probably destroy belts. the STM is also harder to tune, meaning some of you will never get the full potential out of it due to its nature. the CVtech will come to you, completely setup and ready to install, and be built tailored to your specific machine. you give me a list of the mods on your machine, thires you run, and what type of riding you do and i build a clutch for your machine tailored with your own preferences. the CVtech i sell also has a one-way bearing, something the STM does not. the CVtech runs like a constant belt tension setup, giving you amazing belt life and reliability. i have a full set of STMs here now, and plan on running a test this weekend if it will warn up a little sunday and giving you all the videos quick as i can.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah i forgot to say, i am not actually taking anything out of the face of the sheaves. the sheaves are just as thick as they were before, so no worries about me thinning out the secondary.

·
Registered
657 Posts
@revillo,
Hah, thats what I said 5 weeks ago and he is still surprising me. Im kinda anxious to see the unveiling of his "Commander Unleashed" project. I know I already want one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts