Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the way the washers go on on the secondary clutch on a 2011 commander 1000xt? I forgot exactly how they went. I had the bolt back out on a ride last weekend. I wanna make sure I have it correct when I put it back together today. Thanks in advance
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It looks like you have a "non-original" bolt/washer set-up. You should have a hex head bolt, rather than that socket head cap screw and flat washer. The keyed washer would be bent up against the hex head bolt, securing bolt to shaft. That's why it backed out. Here's a pic from the 2011 service manual.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Font Rim

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That's the so called brp one use bolt. He's using the grade 10 bolt from ED.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Yup.....Think about it. It didn't break. It backed out. Wrong bolt type, unless you're going to use thread-lock compound with it. I bet his original secondary bolt didn't break or back out. He may correct me. I've been running my original bolt for 10 years.

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
This is true but I also ran both bolts with no issue for the same length of time on each bolt. I do recommend a dab of loctite. But I personally didn't use it. Cause mine never came loose. But several on this forum have had them come loose. The original bolt Torque was only 35# where the grade 10 is 55. Why they tend to come loose no clue. Why have some many of the factory bolts broke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts