Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Recently updated my 2018 Defender XT with S3 Powersports HD Front and Rear Springs. After installing the new springs I lowered the front end down off the jack with little to no compression on the front end and my A-arms are pretty much maxed out. Ever since I have been noticing issues with my power steering ( stiffens up periodically when making a turn ). I'm just curious has anyone else had this issue also.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
617 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NY. I don’t have any experience with defenders but most front ends have the same basic components. I’m thinking maybe you over tightened something upon reassembly. Possibility of over extending cv joints maybe putting in a stuck state of being too long. I know it sounds stupid but but it’s thought. Possibility of an axle coming out of the diff and not going back in. Does the front end move insink with the terrain? Notice any popping in the steering?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A great place to get your answers. Good luck. Boogerhead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas!

In regards to over tightening any components the only thing I did with the suspension was swap out the springs. I didn't touch any thing else so I don't see any of that being the issue. Like you said, I'm afraid of damaging my CV joints and front axles. I also noticed when I would turn fully left or right that it would skip and let me turn the wheel a little extra at a time as I would make a full 180 turn say. My biggest concern is a big garage bill if I do not resolve the issue, if so I'm at least going to remove the front springs and replace with the OEM and set on highest setting.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As long as you’re going to change the springs back to the OEM set, post some pictures of how the machine sits now and then in reference to the angle of the axles. It almost sounds like your cv joints are over extended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts