Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has two Commander 1000s. One is good. The other just started acting up a few weeks ago. It will run for a few seconds. He has already swapped out fuel pump. I removed fuel cap to check for vapor lock. You can hear pump turn on when the key is switched. It will start up then shut right off. Then when you turn back on the fuel pump will not engage. If he let's it sit for a few minutes he can turn it on and do the same series again. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Someone that knows about these issues will chime in. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,527 Posts
Once the fuel pump builds pressure it shuts off. And will not come back on till the pressure drops. That's why when it sits it will kick back on but not when you turn it right back on after it shuts off. I would start with checking the fuel pressure on the new pump. Plus that allows you to watch the pressure to see if the pressure is dropping off right before it quits. Also move the replays around in the fuse box to see if the problem moves.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hopefully your able to resolve the issue soon without too much headache. I’m sure with the knowledge on this forum you will be pointed in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
25,527 Posts
Yes but that a lot of work just to check the fuel pressure.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
When you say you swapped out the fuel pump was this with a brand new pump or the one from your other Commander? I would try take the one from your running commander knowing it’s good and put it in the non running one and see if that solves the issue. If it does I would say you found the culprit. If it doesn’t you could rule out the actual fuel pump at least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a new fuel pump. Before heading home yesterday we checked all fuse and relays with know good parts and nothing changed. I helped him load it on a trailer and suggested that he goes and gets a pressure gauge. Because of where they live, there is no big box part store within 50 miles, he said he may just take it to the shop if he had to travel that far. If they figure it out, I'll post back. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts