Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. My brother in law and I both have 2015 Can Am Commander Limiteds. We both bought rugged radios and intercoms but we have run into a dead end trying to get the first one installed. Does anyone have experience with installation of these radios and intercoms in a commander limited? Any help would be much appreciated. I can provide more details about where we are stuck and the problems we are having if someone needs that. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the the radio and intercom all wired up and into the mounting face plate. The last step is attaching the mounting face plate to the dash with the included hardware of 10 bolts and 10 nylon lined locking nuts. The problem is that there is that it is extremely difficult to get the nuts started onto the bolts, even starting with the easiest to reach. It involves using a socket with a 6inch extension to try to fish it up from the back and then find the bolt and screw it on. When I finally got the easiest one to access started the nut is too close to the side of the plastic panel to allow it to tighten all the way down. I believe the same will be true for the majority of the other bolts if I can reach them. This all may be made easier if we could remove the plastic dash panel and mount the face plate then reattach the dash panel. However, we don’t have experience removing this panel and there is a torque bolt under the dash left of the steering wheel that has no access to it because of a metal tube.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,209 Posts
Mine was a pain. But I didn’t have the face plate . Mine was mounted in the plastic. Mine had mount bracket in side . I would guess you will need to mount the plate first then put the radio and intercom in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our first option was to mount the face plate first but doing so wasn’t possible due to the way the intercom and radio attach to the mounting face plate. There is no access to the mounting hardware on the sides of the intercom and radio if you mount the face plate first and then insert the radio and intercom. We were really hoping someone here had already gone through all the angst of this installation and could share the secret of getting it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I appreciate that you tried. I’ve spoken to several folks at Rugged Radio including one of their techs and his supervisor. They don’t have any firsthand knowledge of this installation. However, the tech supervisor his having one of his techs who lives near a Can Am dealer go by there to look at a commander and talk to the folks there to see if he can get some ideas that will help. I’m now waiting to hear from the tech when that is completed. I’m hoping that effort will be productive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like you've already cut the hole in the plastic to accept the radio.
There isn't an easy way to remove that panel. Already tried. You will probably need to be a little creative.
Guess I'd recommend drilling new holes in the face plate, if you can, in places where you'll be able to have a locknut. Also recommend using stainless locknuts, washers, and bolts to install. Before radio is installed, see if you can temporary super glue the washer and nut to the backside of the plastic over the hole. It might hold long enough for you to install the bolt.
That plastic panel isn't very rigid, especially after adding weight to it. Not sure if you can add a metal bar in the back to try and make it more solid.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts