Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 14 1000xt a few weeks ago. Took it out for a weekend in the mountains and towards the end of the day the engine would intermittently drop rpm. I would stop and shit it off for several minutes and sometimes it would work others not. I decided to put a secondary battery in, checked the map sensor changed belts and did maintenance. Took it out again this weekend and it ran great for a few hours. Stopped for lunch and took off again and after about 10 minutes it started surging again. I took it straight to can am from the trail and they hooked it up and it showed a low voltage code. He checked the voltage with the machine off and it was 13, then 14.3 running but revved up it didn’t change. He thought it was maybe the stator. Anyone have any ideas. Stator, voltage regulator, battery?

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
Those numbers look good . Put a volt gauge in and run it so you can see what the voltage is doing when it starts acting up . I would also hunt up a fuel pressure kit and check the fuel pressure. Pump could be getting hot and shutting down . Pressure should be above 50# at all times when running .

·
Registered
722 Posts
Was the check engine light on? I wonder if that was an old code. Your voltages were good. The reason it didn't go higher is because the voltage regulator is working. The reason it went to 14.3 is because the stator is working. I would take Ace's advice and check the fuel pressure when it's acting up. At least rule it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the check engine light on? I wonder if that was an old code. Your voltages were good. The reason it didn't go higher is because the voltage regulator is working. The reason it went to 14.3 is because the stator is working. I would take Ace's advice and check the fuel pressure when it's acting up. At least rule it out.
Thank you. Will try that this weekend. I was hoping it wasn’t the pump as that part is $480

·
Registered
722 Posts
Just check the pressure first. That may not even be the problem. I didn't have to check mine, because it stopped completely. At least I was in the yard when it happened. But the price you mentioned is for the whole pump module assembly, and that's the only way Can Am sells it. I paid 58 dollars plus shipping for mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts