Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do first oil change for my XT800. I'm going to use Rotella T6 5W-40, but I'm noticing there's a couple choices... "Extreme Temp" and "For Diesel Engines" Does it matter which is used? Thanks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I thought all rotella t6 5w40 was the same. Be careful as they also have a 15w40.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I thought all rotella t6 5w40 was the same. Be careful as they also have a 15w40.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Look at the ratings.

You need API SM and JASO MA-2. This are the specs that BRP has for their oil, so as long as you're using that then you're fine.

-Kris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at the ratings.

You need API SM and JASO MA-2. This are the specs that BRP has for their oil, so as long as you're using that then you're fine.

It shows having all those specs, thanks. I've noticed a puddle of what seams to be dirty oil underneath the drain plug. I replaced the plug o ring and the filter cover o ring. Could this be coming from the filter cylinder when filter was removed?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Did you replace the copper washer on the drain plug too?

There's a good chance it's left over oil from a previous change. I'd recommend some Simple Green or Purple Power and wash it all out, just to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere.

Don't get crazy with a power washer though.

-Kris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts