Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 12-18 months, the entire industry is seeing OEM take a stab at upgrading stock wheel and tire packages from the factory either on standard models or on special release models. I'm Interested in knowing what drives a new Commander owner to spend the money on aftermarket wheels.

1) Performance - bead lock, lighter weight, etc.

2) Styling - looks, brand name, spoke design, cap design, etc.
2.a) Size - Upgrade to 14" or 15"

3) Durability - bolt on cap, painted finishes to reduce weather/climate damage, etc

Thanks and appreciate for the feedback guys - its always good to know what defines a final buying decision.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,446 Posts
if you notice the commander wheels are balanced so the reason i purchase other wheels was i did not want to break down the wheel from the tires i do all types of riding so i use the stock tires for trails .street tires for street and mild trails dirt roads and paddles with Douglas wheels for sand and yes i have had them balanced also

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its hard to roll thru ruts made by 30" tires while ur on stock.

We upgraded to 29.5" terminators to keep mobile on the trail

also didnt like the thought of carrying 2 spares- so we got five terminators to mount on 5 black m12 rims. ( 14x8")

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
In the last 12-18 months, the entire industry is seeing OEM take a stab at upgrading stock wheel and tire packages from the factory either on standard models or on special release models. I'm Interested in knowing what drives a new Commander owner to spend the money on aftermarket wheels.

1) Performance - bead lock, lighter weight, etc.

2) Styling - looks, brand name, spoke design, cap design, etc.
2.a) Size - Upgrade to 14" or 15"

3) Durability - bolt on cap, painted finishes to reduce weather/climate damage, etc

Thanks and appreciate for the feedback guys - its always good to know what defines a final buying decision.
I upgraded for a couple of reasons.

1) The Bighorns may be great tires from everything I read but I was worried about the sidewalls. I wanted something with a thicker ply, more aggressive treads and better sidewall protection.

2) The rim I upgraded because I wanted better looks. I powdercoated my stock rims black and they looked great, I was just looking for a different look.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some guys just can't wait to PIMP their ride
:bling:

HA HA HA -
Great post. So it sounds like from what I am hearing that it is for sure a performance issue when upgrading your tires. The more aggressive the manufacturers get in tread depth/height, the harder it is to follow because you literally can't ride in the same tracks if you are riding stock. Do any of you care about keeping original vehicle width or do you prefer a wider ground stance with new wheels and tires?

BREAKINWIND mentioned balancing his wheels and tires, anyone else take the time to balance their stock or aftermarket sets?

In regards to wheels, if it primarily looks - what finish do you all prefer? Black, Machined, Hand Polished, Chrome, Green?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its hard to roll thru ruts made by 30" tires while ur on stock.

We upgraded to 29.5" terminators to keep mobile on the trail

also didnt like the thought of carrying 2 spares- so we got five terminators to mount on 5 black m12 rims. ( 14x8")
do yall have problems with them tires rubbing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts