Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions here and appreciate your input. Thanks in advance. Booger.
1. Wondering what size and length the factory cable is. I put a 1/4” open end on my cable and that’s way to big so I’m assuming 3/16”.

2. I am considering replacing cable with synthetic and deleting the roller fair lead. I will buy a plow rope and a winch rope. My question is how long it will take to swap the two out?

My thoughts are to put the plow rope on in the winter (to save my regular rope) and just carry the full length rope with me in case I need it on the trail should I go riding. I would put the full length rope on in the spring.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Subscribed. Been planning on asking about synthetic replacement on the factory warn winch myself. I’ve only gotten as far as measuring the distance between bolts for the fairlead, which is 6”. There are 6” hawse type aluminum fairleads for $15-20 shipped on eBay (many color choices)

·
Registered
543 Posts
i understand the ease of using synthetic winch rope but i'm not sold on its durability & strength compared to cable.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding from my jeeping days is the synthetic pros far outweigh the cons. The main cons seem to be cost and letting them rot in the sun. I’ve not had one yet so I can't personally verify this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The synthetic is supposed to be safer too. When a wire cable breaks it will spring back at you where a synthetic will release all it's tension and drop in place. At least that's the way I understand it. Have never broken either type.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The synthetic is supposed to be safer too. When a wire cable breaks it will spring back at you where a synthetic will release all it's tension and drop in place. At least that's the way I understand it. Have never broken either type.
Not exactly. I've seen a synthetic rope break. It didn't peacefully fall to the ground. It snapped back just like a cable would but, it was pretty scary actually. No one was hurt, it actually came back and hit the windshield of a jeep with no damage.

With that said, I'd much rather be hit with a synthetic rope than a cable any day.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Once you have figured out what is exactly needed I will probably need mine replaced in the next few days to years. Could you please put me on your schedule for a Install?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
My understanding from my jeeping days is the synthetic pros far outweigh the cons. The main cons seem to be cost and letting them rot in the sun. I’ve not had one yet so I can't personally verify this.
I had a "abrasion guard" on mine. It was a sleeve that went over the rope that was exposed to the sun. It just slid over it and was easily movable if you had a spot where your rope would rub against a tree or some other obstacle.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I had a "abrasion guard" on mine. It was a sleeve that went over the rope that was exposed to the sun. It just slid over it and was easily movable if you had a spot where your rope would rub against a tree or some other obstacle.
Same here, Boogerhead, If you do not get an abrasion guard they are easy to make out of about 18" of hollow braid
"plastic" rope. Right behind the hook.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A synthetic cable will float if your in deep water :crying To change pull your cable all the way out and look for the slot where the cable is doubled over. You can pry the rounded cable up with a screwdriver but be CAREFULL as there is a small steel ball or a wedge in there. reinstall your rope in reverse order, you can also use a abrasion guard on the inside also. Happy pulling. :commanderroll:

·
Registered
183 Posts
been using synthetic for a few years now, like it much better, doesn't take much to change out, and it doesn't shred hands which you have to watch out for with cable, my winch is on quick release mount , which makes it very easy to exchange ropes, or replace with new one for in field repair.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
been using synthetic for a few years now, like it much better, doesn't take much to change out, and it doesn't shred hands which you have to watch out for with cable, my winch is on quick release mount , which makes it very easy to exchange ropes, or replace with new one for in field repair.
What diameter, length and brand of rope for the factory warn?
Thanks for the replies folks, here is what I ordered.

1. I went with the TUSK plow rope, less than half the price of the Warn. I only plow around the neighborhood. If its a POS and breaks it's not a life or death situation.

2, I ordered a synthetic replacement rope for riding. (Warn 77835, 50’, 7/32” diameter)

I ponied up for the Warn rope because I've had good luck with their products over the years and the Tusk rope didn’t have good reviews from what I read, and I have money Boogerswife hasn’t spent yet.

I have not received or installed either of these products so this is not a review, just saying what I am going to try.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. Boog.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

What diameter, length and brand of rope for the factory warn?

Thanks for the replies folks, here is what I ordered.

1. I went with the TUSK plow rope, less than half the price of the Warn. I only plow around the neighborhood. If its a POS and breaks it's not a life or death situation.

2, I ordered a synthetic replacement rope for riding. (Warn 77835, 50’, 7/32” diameter)

I ponied up for the Warn rope because I've had good luck with their products over the years and the Tusk rope didn’t have good reviews from what I read, and I have money Boogerswife hasn’t spent yet.

I have not received or installed either of these products so this is not a review, just saying what I am going to try.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. Boog.

UPDATE TO ABOVE
I cancelled the WARN rope.
Everything I could find online was a kit WARN part number 77835. This is the rope and a roller fairlead for synthetic rope.
WARN got back to me and the rope only part number is 78388. It is 7/32” x 50’.
I ultimately purchased:
1/4” x 55’ from Custom Splice. (And a factor 55 thimble)

I also bought a WARN hawse style fairlead number PV4500-s. (This came from rocky mtn atv)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what happens when you call TROY. .

I just wanted to put my rope on. LOL

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Looks like it's junk boog. Best send it to me postage paid so I can steal a $1 spring out of it.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not junk. (Until I try to put it back together.). I just wanted to throw my spiffy new plow rope on but nooo.....TROY is making me clean the drum, grease the bushings, add WS2. Blah,blah,blah. Sheesh. This is cutting into my Busch time.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Sounds like Troy is a slave driver!! Maybe you should take a few lessons from his book.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts