Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just pulled the clutch and shipped it to Troy for the triple star mod service and new replacement bolts. Figured I needed the inner clutch bolt/puller so I went out and bought one at the local dealer. Ouch - 40 clams later I am home and threading it in, I am turning and turning and finally, it feels like it seats. I put the big power handle on it (no impact driver), and turned it, the wrench fell out of my hand. Odd I thought, so I reached down to thread the puller in further and the inner half of the clutch fell into my hand. The bolt holding it had only about a half inch of thread and the rest were shaved off. Called Troy, he said its common for them to be loose, crappy bolt stretched and voila , no more friction fit! The factory assembly has the threads shaved before it goes on!

Moral of the story, pull you clutch and replace the bolt, while your there put a Maverick belt of and service the one way and since its apart send it in for the mod!

But if you do nothing else . . . . . .CHANGE THE BOLTS ON BOTH SIDES!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just pulled the clutch and shipped it to Troy for the triple star mod service and new replacement bolts. Figured I needed the inner clutch bolt/puller so I went out and bought one at the local dealer. Ouch - 40 clams later I am home and threading it in, I am turning and turning and finally, it feels like it seats. I put the big power handle on it (no impact driver), and turned it, the wrench fell out of my hand. Odd I thought, so I reached down to thread the puller in further and the inner half of the clutch fell into my hand. The bolt holding it had only about a half inch of thread and the rest were shaved off. Called Troy, he said its common for them to be loose, crappy bolt stretched and voila , no more friction fit! The factory assembly has the threads shaved before it goes on!

Moral of the story, pull you clutch and replace the bolt, while your there put a Maverick belt of and service the one way and since its apart send it in for the mod!

But if you do nothing else . . . . . .CHANGE THE BOLTS ON BOTH SIDES!
Troy stocks and sells them in Canada, and we have them in the US

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coming in the box on the way back!

I meant to pull the bolts last year and replace them based on posts here but never got to it, and the wife and I are easy trail risers, . . . . . don't wait guys! Order them up from Troy and Ed and get wrenching!

·
Registered
2015 Commander XT 1000
21 Posts
Is this a result of what you described? That bolt broke. Last threads were damaged as if it was loosening little by little before completely letting go. Still haven't got the complete tally but it will be close to 1000$ in parts alone:cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts