Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, hopefully someone can shed some light, I fired up my 2016 Commander DPS and went for a short spin around the block the other night, then when I got back the muffler was red hot.. I was driving with the grey key, but it seemed excessively slow and sluggish.. any clues would be appreciated..

·
Super Moderator
24,909 Posts
Pull the spark arrester out and clean it . It’s behind the turn out on the driver side.

·
Super Moderator
24,909 Posts
And being it’s a 16 your cat maybe plugged up. So could be time for a new muffler .

·
Registered
578 Posts
Either what Ace said or clean the squirrel 🐿 nest out of it.LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you pulled the spark arrester out or you just ran water through it?
No Ace, couldnt get the down pipe off because the nuts that must be tacked on the inside snapped off, so the hex screws just spin..turning into a disaster, now I'll have to cut it off and tack weld it back after checking the spark arrester..

·
Super Moderator
24,909 Posts
They have thread setter nuts crimped in the muffler . They are bad about rusting to the bolts . They can be replaced . I used stainless bolts and had no more rust issues .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have thread setter nuts crimped in the muffler . They are bad about rusting to the bolts . They can be replaced . I used stainless bolts and had no more rust issues .
Ok cheers for the heads up, I'll be looking into it shortly.. hope thats the problem..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Here’s a detailed thread on the exhaust tip bolts:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a detailed thread on the exhaust tip bolts:
Thanks for the link and info.. should be able to get some sort of fix now.. will keep you all posted..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link and info.. should be able to get some sort of fix now.. will keep you all posted..
Was also wondering if you particular model has the cat at the inbound side of the muffler and was that an issue or not.. what year is you Commander, do they all have a cat in them?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
And being it’s a 16 your cat maybe plugged up. So could be time for a new muffler .
Or just get out the hammer screw driver and drill bit and bore that cat out of there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts