Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, anyone out there actually installed the wear ring on the rear yoke? It's not like a speedy sleeve where it has the flange and the cup to drive it on. It's just the ring. I remember my old man doing similar installs years ago, and he was just telling me that adding some heat to it to get it to expand and she'll practically fall on. Who's got some experience with this.:|

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I have done about ten of them and I use a heat gun and it works 100%

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I use it on shrink tube also as I do lots of custom wiring

·
Registered
771 Posts
Put yoke in freezer for several hrs and put sleeve in oven on 400 for a hr. Then work fast .

I thought this was a Commander forum... not Home Economics class baking cakes!??

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Better than health class explaining how 2 droopy round things react to cold temperature change!:devil

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a new rear axle and it’s larger OD. There’s no way a wear ring will go on the end. Are they made now where you don’t require a wear ring?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Like Acefire said. I left mine in the freezer overnight, then used the heat gun on the sleeve, and then gently tapped it on, with a piece of wood against it, with a light hammer. Worked out well.

·
Super Moderator
24,147 Posts
Yeah he bought a new drive shaft . The new yokes don’t use a wear sleeve. It’s the same OD as the old yokes with the wear sleeve. But now when the seal starts leaking he will be buying a new yoke not just a sleeve. Only down fall to the new yokes .

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t remember exact price, but I got a complete new shaft (with 2 new u joints installed) for less than $100

1 - 20 of 34 Posts