Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my findings today....While inspecting my 2013 XT for this Fire Hazard recall, I pop the center console panel and drivers side panel off to find this....

The machine has 99.7 hours on it, and my dealer performed the 10 hour break-in maintenance back in January. I was assured that the tech that did the work was reliable and had torqued all the bolts back to spec after checking valves, and this must have vibrated loose. I'm being told that this is a common occurrence with the Commander. I did have my CEL come on a few times, but the oil level was within operational range. The dealer will be taking pictures and submitting this to CanAm for warranty repair. There's no telling how much dirt/grime/sand/water got inside the motor. Anyone else ever had this issue or heard of it? I'm pissed.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Leaky Valve cover

What you have is:
A. Not Properly torqued cover bolts
B. New compression rubber washers not installed
C. New Valve cover gasket not used
D. Dealer mechanic that skipped valve adjusting policys & procedures class
E. Service manager that did not do his or her job correctly
F. A Real Real good case against BRP if they balk at any warranty claims
you may have.

:icon_cussing:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm betting they just did not tighten it and told you about the warranty submital to shut you up and go away. That's how most dealers deal with the public whether being for recreational to automotive when they are in the wrong. I wouldn't be concerned to much about dirt entering due to the inside of the engine being under positive pressure mostly, water may have entered if that point was submerged but the exit for the oil was small (a seep) it was not a gaping open hole, yah you have a right to be pissed and vent but fact is if the dealer had the cover off they did not tighten the bolts properly if not then it's a warranty issue. It's basically your choice to go somewhere else next time or ask them to make it right and you don't wan't some lame story.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Buy a new valve cover gasket and put it on and tighten the bolts. Do your own maintenance don't waste your money on a dealer to do it for you unless you have no choice because of your inability to do it. You can get a 600 page factory repair manual for $5 from Service Manual Vault Service Manuals for $4.95 PDF Download you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you do and you'll know it was done right the first time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Buy a new valve cover gasket and put it on and tighten the bolts. Do your own maintenance don't waste your money on a dealer to do it for you unless you have no choice because of your inability to do it. You can get a 600 page factory repair manual for $5 from Service Manual Vault Service Manuals for $4.95 PDF Download you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you do and you'll know it was done right the first time.
10/4 on that , there's something about peace of mind & know you're getting what you paid for !
Steveo----

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Just wanted to share my findings today....While inspecting my 2013 XT for this Fire Hazard recall, I pop the center console panel and drivers side panel off to find this....

The machine has 99.7 hours on it, and my dealer performed the 10 hour break-in maintenance back in January. I was assured that the tech that did the work was reliable and had torqued all the bolts back to spec after checking valves, and this must have vibrated loose. I'm being told that this is a common occurrence with the Commander. I did have my CEL come on a few times, but the oil level was within operational range. The dealer will be taking pictures and submitting this to CanAm for warranty repair. There's no telling how much dirt/grime/sand/water got inside the motor. Anyone else ever had this issue or heard of it? I'm pissed.
Don't believe it's a vibration problem mine has 114 hrs and no problems and I skipped the 10 hr valve check. So if vibration was to blame then mine should be leaking. And it has got rode hard and put up wet many times. My guess service tech dropped the ball. Good luck with the warranty claim. If your dealer is like my dealers have been in the past warranty is something to inflate the cost of the sale it's as good the recycled paper it's wrote on.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
827 hrs. and 5800 miles I've adjusted my valves 4 times no leaks from mine. 1st 2 valve adjustments I had to make adjustments the last 2 times there still dead on. Get the book have piece of mind knowing it was done right. I've rode it hard its a nice machine and you will wear out parts along the way!!! LOL even on my 3rd set of tires now. LOL

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I agree with the other fella's......just fix it and you will know it's done right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input gentleman. The ONLY reason the dealer touched it at the 10 hour service was to ensure that THEY had record of it being done, for warranty claim purposes. I just purchased all the fluids to do the 100 hour service myself along with downloading the 1,600 page service manual yesterday, only to find this bs today. I feel the same way you guys do, if I do the work, I know its done right. This is the very reason I do all the maintenance on my Vette. The dealer said they will get it taken care of, so we'll see how it turns out. I forgot to mention that the tech that performed the 10 hour service is no longer there. Makes me wonder....

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
There's no way the bolts vibrated loose (if torqued properly) unless it was a part failure. My guess is it was a mechanic's failure to check his/her work.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Her work on my buggy LMAO on that one. If a girl was the mechanic it would have been fixed right!!!! women's mechanics can fix a man's buggy upper right the first time around!!! IMOP!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I got my buggy back on Thursday. Here's the rundown..."Warranty" work for my valve cover leak only consisted of replacing the gasket and adding oil (no full oil change). The stealership insisted that the oil looked good even though it had not been changed since the 10hr service, which I'm now at 100hrs. I asked if they had cleaned the motor, since oil was everywhere, and the service manager said yes. I get it home, take all the plastic off, and low and behold, there was still oil and gunk all over the damn motor! Of course I look at the valve covers to check for any issues and I noticed that the front valve cover had never been touched. As you all know, at the 10hr service the valves are to be checked, but the bolts on the cover had no marks. A wrench/socket had never even been near it! I feel like this dealer is taking people for a "ride", but not in a good way! This place will never get my business again. I'm too pissed off to even complain to the manager. On a better note, I completed my 100hr service today MYSELF. The valves were within spec, and all of the fluids were changed properly. Be careful with some of these dealerships guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
...and that, my friend, is the best $5 I've spent on this machine so far. Thanks Mud Yapster!

BT

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with an Outlander 650 mr. I see we are both in VA but your profile doesn't say where. Could you post or PM me the name of the dealer you were working with.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
service manual vault .com get your factory repair manual leave the stealership behind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am having the exact same issue with an Outlander 650 mr. I see we are both in VA but your profile doesn't say where. Could you post or PM me the name of the dealer you were working with.
Sending you a PM.... and MudYapster is right, if you can turn a wrench yourself, it's best to get the service manual and do so. You know it's done right! I only had "that" dealer service it for warranty purposes, but never again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll see if I can find a manual for it. It's amazing that the dealer has the nerve to charge $100 per hour for some kid to destroy a motor....

·
Registered
159 Posts
i hear ya on the doing it yourself! i even went to buy the parts and get home to find out they cant even sell me the right parts to do the work!! i guess i have to take the shopping list and double check the P/N's WOW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts