Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Been changing rear Universals about every 1000 miles. Is this normal? Using Spicer replacements. Grease them about every other ride. And my rides are not long. Use to get to and from our cabin. I'm wondering about removing the rear skid plate. Will that help. It's always the differential side that goes. I think it's from laying in all the slop that gets in there. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
No 1000 miles not to normal . Most get 2 to 3x that on factory joints. As for the Spicer joints you need to grease them after every ride not before . They are single sealed joints so if grease can get out water and muck can get in. If you grease them at end of the ride you push out anything that would cause damage while sitting.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. I'll have to go that route. It's mainly that one back one. The inner one might last twice as long as the rear. But I change it since it's out. The stock ones I have to see how long they lasted. I know Ive been changing these tho. Well. Those are the first Spicer. Tried a few others. I'm pretty sure a stick took the seals out and that caused it. The yoke in the diff side the seals were gone. I noticed the stick a month ago and the seals missing last week.

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
Yeah the spicers are only thing other than stock that held up for me . Lots of been tested by others. Not many have held up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's about 25 sandy puddles on the way up to our cabin. 2-10 feet long up to a foot deep. Back and forth to my truck 2 or 3 times over the weekend. The skid plates end up covered in dry sand after the weekend. That probably doesn't help. Have to grease afterwards. Sounds like the plan.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I changed the rear drive shaft on my old mav at about 7500 miles and the U-joints were still not bad . The slip joint on the shaft was done . BRP U joints do the best for me . And on my old commander I was getting about 1200 miles on jobber U joints . BRP at least 3 times as long . Just the better seals . It seams I can’t get it greased as soon after a ride like I should . Old I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crazy Diamond

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. I guess I'll see how long this set lasts when I get them and trying to grease them after I drive it. Then maybe give the higher priced BRP ones another shot. I figured the yokes were Spicer so when I found them they went in. Knock on wood. The front driveshaft has 10,000 miles on it. Never been out.

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
They are probably from the off road division of Spicer. Being the yoke's are Spicer. Your typical drive line shops can't buy off road Spicer parts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slowindown. The grease fitting is in the cap. It's actually easier to get to then the factory one. Acefire. You off hand know the price of oem? The Spicer ones are $30. Just got them today. Tearing the old girl down again after work today. Thinking about making some kind of cover for over that rear joint. Maybe it will keep some of the heavier gunk off it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah. I thought there were above $100 last I looked which was 4 sets ago. What I just found we as that 2 caps were not getting grease. Why? Don't know if the caps ended up squashed against the top of the shafts or what. But I modified them a little and took the dremel cut off wheel and put 2 small grease grooves in the top of each shaft coming from the grease hole in the center of each of the 4 shafts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts