Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to with forum, but it looks like there is alot of knowledge here. My issue is a noise in my rear end it just kind of developed driving along a normal trail, no harsh conditions, its kind of like a chunk sounding noise but it still acts and drives the same at first I thought it was a u joint snapping but upon further inspection I think its my pinion gear in the rear diff, anybody have this issue? Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
23,194 Posts
Pinion gear was common issue in the 11/13 models . And if that’s the case it will get worse really quick. The new replacement is upgraded from the factory with helical gears instead of straight cut.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To upgrade to the new style you would also have to upgrade the ring gear right? The helical pinion and straight cut ring gear wouldnt mesh would they?

·
Super Moderator
23,194 Posts
Cheaper to buy new diff than to repair the old one . You can get a new diff from dealer for less than 700$. If your dealer likes you. A rebuild on yours will be over 400$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do all my own work, ill probably just split my diff and replace anything that needs replaced if its only the pinion I should be in for a little over 200

·
Super Moderator
23,194 Posts
If it needs a pinion you will need a ring as well. Or you are just wasting money . It will fail again .

·
Super Moderator
23,194 Posts
The ring has wear whether it had damage or not . You start mix matching parts and it will accelerate the wear of the ring and the new pinion . Plain and simple the 11/13 diff was junk from the factory . If you would have went in and set it up the day it was new it would have made it a lot longer . Lots of threads on the forum of then hand grenading with out warning . Most were extremely noisy from the factory . It was just a turd and they finally got around to fixing it in the new models .

·
Super Moderator
23,194 Posts
Or you can bullet proof it with a Maverik diff . Which is what most do. But it’s not cheap . It’s around 1500$ for the kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts