Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if the input seal and bearing can be replaced without removing housing? I have the seal out but the bearing and gear is stuck or has a keeper. Is it possible to replace without taking the housing apart? I used a puller on the gear but would not budge. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Welcome to the forum from western New York. Bearing and pinion shaft are held in with a lefthand threaded nut which takes a 2” square socket to remove. Would be much easier to remove on a bench in my opinion. That is how I did mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum from western New York. Bearing and pinion shaft are held in with a lefthand threaded nut which takes a 2” square socket to remove. Would be much easier to remove on a bench in my opinion. That is how I did mine.
Thanks for the welcome.

I was able to remove the backwards threaded nut. I assumed at that point the bearing and gear would slide out. I tried using the bolt and puller but no go. Just thought i could change the bearing without taking the housing apart. Seems like the slack is not too bad and bearing is in better shape than i suspected and i will just replace the seal and ujoint that was the issue to start with.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There’s also a wear ring on the driveshaft you should also replace. Once removed the retaining nut, the pinion shaft and bearing should have slipped out. Possibly some loctite between bearing and seat.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Also has a needle bearing as I like to call it on the end of the pinion inside that is bad about wearing out and causing slack in the pinion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts