Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a deposit down on the 1000X. I have a 5x8 trailer that a plan to haul it with. The trailer also has rails 14 inches high. I notice that the Commander is 58.6 inches wide. The trailer is 60 inches wide. I thought I would be ok until I thought about something. The X has rock sliders on it. Does anyone know if the sliders add to the width more than 58.6 down low? I can't tell from pics if the bottom of the Commander swoops in as it goes towards the bottom or not. Can someone also tell me where is the widest spot they get that measurement is at? Is it the outside of the tires, fender, cage, or what? If no one knows can the next people that go do a demo ride look at it for me? Thanks. Here is a couple pics so you know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Normally Rock sliders do not stick out passed the tires or they create a "hang up" spot
Based on the top pic, I would say they don't stick out, but hopefully someone doing a demo ride can confirm for you.

However, I do have a concern for you.. 5X8 trailer is not going to be long enough IMHO

Length 118.3" 9' 10" - you would have about 2' hanging over
Wheelbase 75.8" - I believe and I could be wrong, that is measured center of tire to center of tire, not outside front to outside rear which is what you should be concerned with.

Just for thought - even if you can get it on there with 1' hanging off the front and rear strapping down is going to be a biotch

I know my standard RZR would not fit length wise, I just sold my big 3 place atv aluminum trailer to get a smaller trailer just to haul my SxS
Keep in mind that a RZR is 16" shorter than a Commander

Bottom Line
If it were me, I would sell it and buy a 6' X 10' - that way you have trailer all around your baby! Still narrow, pretty reasonable price and peace of mind with your $15,000+ toy

just my .02 hope it helps

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good Idea... I had a 5x8 for my Rhino and got rid of it. Couldn't get the tongue weight right, it swayed around, gate was hanging with chains and it was just a matter of time before I got a ticket.
Normally Rock sliders do not stick out passed the tires or they create a "hang up" spot
Based on the top pic, I would say they don't stick out, but hopefully someone doing a demo ride can confirm for you.

However, I do have a concern for you.. 5X8 trailer is not going to be long enough IMHO

Length 118.3" 9' 10" - you would have about 2' hanging over
Wheelbase 75.8" - I believe and I could be wrong, that is measured center of tire to center of tire, not outside front to outside rear which is what you should be concerned with.

Just for thought - even if you can get it on there with 1' hanging off the front and rear strapping down is going to be a biotch

I know my standard RZR would not fit length wise, I just sold my big 3 place atv aluminum trailer to get a smaller trailer just to haul my SxS
Keep in mind that a RZR is 16" shorter than a Commander

Bottom Line
If it were me, I would sell it and buy a 6' X 10' - that way you have trailer all around your baby! Still narrow, pretty reasonable price and peace of mind with your $15,000+ toy

just my .02 hope it helps

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trailer is 96 inches long. I should be fine with the wheel base of 75 inches. All 4 tires will be completely on the trailer. The dump bed will hang off about 2 feet, but that shouldn't matter if all 4 wheels are on the trailer. I plan on welding tie downs wherever needed if I have problems with the one that are already there. I had a Teryx on it, and it did just fine. The Teryx is almost the same size as the commander. I also think that because the Commander is mid engine and has a 50/50 front/rear distribution the trailer will be fine. Also, this is a very heavy 5x8 trailer. It's a big tex model 30SA with a 3500 pound axle with full size heavy duty tires. I also have about a 80 pound tool box on the tongue and 40 pound UTV ramps under the trailer forward of the axle. So I will have a pretty good tongue weight to stabilize it. This setup should do ok as long as I can get the dang thing on it. I would love to buy a 6X10 but I just don't have the room for it in my garage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good trailer... My 5x8 was a lowes special and the mesh floor was pushing through and everything... Worse comes to worse you could always take the sides off or maybe cut them off depending on your trailer...

Here's how I chain down my Rhino... I don't even use the straps anymore... I can load and unload in less than 2 minutes. I took these of my 450 Rhino a ways back but I do the same with my 700 Sport. I permanently mounted the chains with heavy duty eye bolts front and back after balancing tghe tongue weight. I pull on and just pin the front with the hitch pin then reach in and back up the Rhino until the suspension starts to compress up fornt and lock the ebrake. Then just go around back and twist the chain to takle out any slack and pin the rear. < 2mins on or off...

The trailer is 96 inches long. I should be fine with the wheel base of 75 inches. All 4 tires will be completely on the trailer. The dump bed will hang off about 2 feet, but that shouldn't matter if all 4 wheels are on the trailer. I plan on welding tie downs wherever needed if I have problems with the one that are already there. I had a Teryx on it, and it did just fine. The Teryx is almost the same size as the commander. I also think that because the Commander is mid engine and has a 50/50 front/rear distribution the trailer will be fine. Also, this is a very heavy 5x8 trailer. It's a big tex model 30SA with a 3500 pound axle with full size heavy duty tires. I also have about a 80 pound tool box on the tongue and 40 pound UTV ramps under the trailer forward of the axle. So I will have a pretty good tongue weight to stabilize it. This setup should do ok as long as I can get the dang thing on it. I would love to buy a 6X10 but I just don't have the room for it in my garage.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumped my own thread. All you new demo riders out there, can you check this out for me? I need to know where they measure the widest spot at on an X.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When you look at the overhead shot of the Commander the front and back look several inches narrower then the center. Makes me wonder if the wheel track is narrower than the 58.6" total width.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts