Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Pulling to the right

13K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  barski 
#1 ·
My 2015 Commander 1000XT has started pulling to the right on occasion for some odd reason. Sometimes it's right away in the day other times it's later on but it's a guarantee that it will happen at some point throughout the day. When it's not pulling to the right it's as straight as an arrow. When it is pulling to the right you'll just hold it straight and sometimes it'll go back to normal (straight) other times you'll get to hold it straight for a while.

On initial startup the steering wheel is straight and does not pull in either direction. Power steering works great in both scenarios.

Things I've verified:
- Alignment
- DPS torque offset reset
- Checked front end bushings (1500 miles on it, all good here)
- Tie-rod ends
- Wheel bearings
- Ball joints

It seems fairly simple that some hard part is moving which is causing me to pull to the right or the DPS is pulling me to the right. Basically I'm down to checking for sticking brake caliper or hooking the BUDS system up and taking it for a ride while watching what the DPS is doing.

Anyone else experience this issue or have ideas on what else I could check?

See less See more
#9 ·
Reactions: acefire
#12 ·
The torque offset has been completed already. I was hoping the DPS replacement section would include a step was missing. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/861913/Can-Am-2010-Dps.html?page=29

If it was the torque offset I would expect it to either be 'off' all the time or aligned and not jumping back and forth like I'm seeing. Guess I could disconnect the DPS the next time it happens and see if the problem goes away.

#17 ·
I have checked the tire pressures as well and they are all as expected. It's weird because you can be driving down a road and all a sudden it'll be pulling to the right then sometimes it'll be 10 miles later and it'll be straight again.

Double checked the torque offset last night and it was a hair off so that was reset again. I'll be trying it out this evening after installing new one way bearings. I also picked the front end off the ground and turned the key on and the steering wheel doesn't move so that's a plus.

#19 ·
After another 150 miles I can say the issue is certainly better but not completely fixed. From time to time it'll still want to pull me to the right but I have found that turning it off and back on will 'fix' the problem. I still find it weird that it'll only be while at some speed and not at lower speeds. Going to hook the BUDS system up and ride it around for a while and hopefully see what the DPS sees.

#20 ·
this might sound silly but are you on a level road when this happens, if road is tilted one way it can give you an illusion of steering pulling

#22 ·
Drove around with the BUDS system attached. The DPS is NOT applying pressure while it's pulling to the right. It will show me applying pressure to keep it going straight tho. Now we're down to a hard part causing problems. Since a-arm bushings are good, not garage products good but factory good, and the tie rod ends are tight I'm starting to lean towards it being the rack and pinion. The drivers side is as tight as can be and the passenger side has just a hair of movement. Can the bushing moving around in there if it's chewed up?

#23 ·
Can you electrically disconnect the dps and drive it? I wonder if it's doing something that BUDS isn't detecting. Do you have a non-contact IR thermometer? If so, when it's pulling a while, pull over and check the temp of both front hubs and both front calipers, and see if they vary greatly side to side.

#26 ·
Another update: I'm confident the issue is with the DPS or ECM at this point. The issue does not come back with the DPS unplugged which is encouraging...or something... Have a power steering unit on the way so hopefully it's here for the next weekend.

#27 ·
Final update: Grabbed a "good" DPS off eBay and installed that to find out the DPS was junk. Sent that back for a full refund and reinstalled mine with the intentions of trading it off for a Polaris General. After reinstalling my DPS and taking it for a test drive all is well. Put about 600 miles on it since and it has been spot on since.

#29 ·
Possibly. I was leaning towards it being torque being applied to the DPS unit due from a misalignment someplace between the rack and pinion and steering shaft. It's a very detailed installation procedure when putting the DPS unit in.

I had the electrical connectors apart and back together various times and did clean them connections and applied dielectric grease.

Just glad it's working as expected now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.