Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title say.
What is everyone's experience, what are the advantages or disadvantages of the two?
I would love to here your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I've had the 2" puck lift since last fall. Advantage, it's cheaper and some what easier than the brackets, at least it was for me. Ground clearance was much improved and easier to get through the woods, mud and snow. Disadvantage, it makes for a stiffer ride esp. at higher speeds over bumps. I don't drive fast in the rough spots because of my back but if you do drive fast I don't know how the springs would hold up to the harder bumps. One of my only concern's, other than that no complaints.
The right pic is before and the left is after I installed the lift.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Factory Ride height

Just what is the OEM / Factory ride height?
Heard many numbers but those all seem to be a wish list or a suggestion, where is real start point?
Ride is 2013 1000 "X"
Thanks,
If it is in the manual I am missing a page or two...

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
According to the 2012 800xt brochure/web page I printed when I was looking it is 11" and I don't think that has changed. I know the 2" puck lift I added made a huge difference from the first time I was in the woods where I hunt (without it) until the last time last hunting season. I would have dragged bottom and high centered in the mud several time if I hadn't had it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can only speak from experience but the State Line Customs bracket lift is hard to beat. No stiff shocks so the ride quality remains. Kind of a no brainer when you experience the set-up they use. Some true thinking went into how it's made!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Heard many numbers but those all seem to be a wish list or a suggestion, where is real start point?
Ride is 2013 1000 "X"
Thanks,
The height on mine is 71 inches a she sits.

·
Super Moderator
25,525 Posts
Ride is 2013 1000 "X"
Thanks,
L x W x H (in)118.3 x 58.6 x 72 in
L x W x H (mm)3,004 x 1,489 x 1,829 mm
Wheelbase75.8 in (1,924 mm)
Ground Clearance11 in (279 mm)
Dry Weight1,295 lb (585 kg)
Towing Capacity1,500 lb (680 kg)
Cargo Box CapacityTotal: 600 lb (272 kg) Upper: 400 lb (181 kg) Lower: 200 lb (91 kg)
Cockpit StorageGlove Box: 4.5 gal (17.2 L) Under driver seat: 3,5 gal (13,1 L)
Fuel Capacity10 US gal (37.8 L)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I can only speak from experience but the State Line Customs bracket lift is hard to beat. No stiff shocks so the ride quality remains. Kind of a no brainer when you experience the set-up they use. Some true thinking went into how it's made!
What about with the air ride suspension ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just installed a 1" CLK Puck lift last week and had a chance to thrash it last weekend on a 114 mile trail ride to Black Mountain/39 Mile Mountain in Colorado... The trail has a lot of varying terrain including rutted muddy and rock filled sections down low, then snow covered sections with mud filled holes, tree roots, rock obstacles, etc. up high so just about everything you could want in a trail. Add on top of that 65 degree temps after 8" of fresh snow overnight and it was a mud fest and very wet the entire length of trail... I thought the Commander with the 1" puck lift handled the trail better and the ride to me was a bit softer after the lift was installed as I turned down the preload ring on the XT shocks from the stock setting. Install was pretty easy but you have to have or rent a coil spring compressor and it takes a bit if finesse not to damage the shock body when compressing the coils because the coil spring compressor was really designed for Car/Truck sized coils... I think the minimal lift with the shocks adjusted down 1 notch gave a noticeable improvement in suspension flex but by no means is it extreme. Axle shaft angles are still acceptable. For comparison, I was better able to keep up with a Commander X on the trail which usually can pull away from me in the rough stuff due to its Fox Shocks. I'm also running 1.5" spacers which help track width and stability quite a bit IMHO... Here's a few pics just after install before the trail ride...

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, Great responses

·
Registered
127 Posts
So im guessing no one has used the bracket lift? I just ordered a high lifter bracket lift 2" i hope its good...has anyone used that on their commander?

·
Registered
43 Posts
So im guessing no one has used the bracket lift? I just ordered a high lifter bracket lift 2" i hope its good...has anyone used that on their commander?
I have it on mine and like it. Got a couple more inches of ground clearance on the machine. I did break an axle first time out though. Not sure if it was the bracket lift that caused it or the 30" tires grabbing in the mud that caused it or maybe a little of both but I now have gorilla axles and haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have it on mine and like it. Got a couple more inches of ground clearance on the machine. I did break an axle first time out though. Not sure if it was the bracket lift that caused it or the 30" tires grabbing in the mud that caused it or maybe a little of both but I now have gorilla axles and haven't had a problem.
Ima guess it was the tires, how much did the axles run u?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts