Can-Am Commander Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So it looks like this is an older thread. I have a 2015 Commander with the 14 Rackzilla and their coupler.
My issue is that the driver's side of the rack had no bushing and there is a ton of play.
But now I question... Does the 14 rack for the 15 commander with DPS?

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
None of the racks have a driver side bushings. They have a wear slug that's spring loaded under the spanner nut just below the Pinon gear. That's what you tighten to take up the slack in the driver side. Do you the part number for the rack you are running? We have been down this road before. They claim to have a rack to fit a 15 model. But you would be the first on any forum to actually have one in a commander newer than 14. The only one they list for a dps is listed 14 and 15 dps and the coupler will not fit the 15 model dps output shaft. So I'm really curious as to the part number and some pics would be awesome also .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK so yours isn't a factory dps model . That's why it fits your 15. Miss read your post sorry ignor most of my last post.

Yessir.. it is a factory DPS model.
I have the 2015 XT with DPS and the electronic locking rear differential.

I rad up on the issues others had with the output shaft, but my DPS output shaft and the WickedBilt steering rack lined up and locked up tight with their coupler. I have not counted the splines or checked the diameter, because I honestly I never had a reason the whole system is locked up tight as can be from steering wheel to the rack.
The play occurs on the drivers side of the rack. When the pinion turns, the internal it's rod of the rack pushes to the back of the machine as the tie rod pushes out, and the wheels turn right.

So much so that the outer portion of the clevis where the outer tie rod meets the rack was able to contact the rack housing.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Well they have changed the coupler. The one bedroom wasn't even close to fitting the dps shaft. That spanner nut I was referring to pushes the rod back against the pinion gear to take up the slack . So unless something is bent or broke you should be able to tighten the nut and remove that slack .

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
There is a spanner nut directory behind the cross shsft tighten it up that will stop. The nut is counter sunk it doesn't stick out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
None of the racks have a driver side bushings. They have a wear slug that's spring loaded under the spanner nut just below the Pinon gear. That's what you tighten to take up the slack in the driver side. Do you the part number for the rack you are running? We have been down this road before. They claim to have a rack to fit a 15 model. But you would be the first on any forum to actually have one in a commander newer than 14. The only one they list for a dps is listed 14 and 15 dps and the coupler will not fit the 15 model dps output shaft. So I'm really curious as to the part number and some pics would be awesome also .

Part number provided-
Wicked Bilt Heavy Duty Complete Steering Rack Can Am Commander 800/1000 #800-2180
Select Model & Year: (Quick Turn Ratio) With OEM Power Steering 2014-2015

Also.. I can emphatically NOT recommend WickedBilt. Their customer service is non existent. I have tried to reach them for weeks with not a single replay to an email or any of my phone calls, or comments on their social media. Lifetime warranty is worthless if they don't answer the phone.

Their old sales manager who no longer works there picked up on the first ring though... He couldn't help be side he no longer works there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The pics finally loaded for me. That housing is busted up . No why boot will seal the water out .
Nope. Water just rushes on in. I do have the factory rack still. Will have to go back to that in the meantime.
Pissed at Wicked bilt customer service/warranty.
I sent this rack back to them in 2019 complaining about this exact issue and paid a $50 diagnostic change and return shipping because "nothing was wrong" and they didn't mention anything about a spanner nut to take out slop. I will have to try that to see if it's the case, but I wouldn't imagine it's supposed to be a customer serviced and maintained part is it?

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
You are correct service sucks. But still the only HD option available. And they have never warranted a rack. The just claim abuse warranty is void.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Take the zilla apart make sure the shaft isn't bent . Them heat the right side housing and drive the bushings out from left side then if the oem house I'd is same as zilla bushings od heat that housing and drive bushing back in. I don't know for sure on the 15 but the 11/14 housings are the same have moved several of those bushings over . Sjaft and pinion gear will be the same . Just not sure about the housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take the zilla apart make sure the shaft isn't bent . Them heat the right side housing and drive the bushings out from left side then if the oem house I'd is same as zilla bushings od heat that housing and drive bushing back in. I don't know for sure on the 15 but the 11/14 housings are the same have moved several of those bushings over . Sjaft and pinion gear will be the same . Just not sure about the housing.

Before I get into all that.. did you get a chance to check out that video I posted? Is that the slop the spanner nut will correct?
Im not that worried that anything is bent. This is what it has done since day one and WickedBilt inspected it saying it was fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes post 70 guess you missed it. If they inspected it I would say they didn't get it right enough.

I can barely believe it, but I finally got in touch with their customer service and after reviewing the video and pics, as well as the emails from last time I sent it in, they have agreed to warrant and send me a new one.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts