Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading the thread on plasti dip paint I decided to start a new project and change up the color on my commander to matte black. For those who didn't see the first thread by Stiffler, this stuff goes on like regular spray paint but can easily be removed like a vinyl sticker. This way I can remove it if I don't like it and go back to my original color. So here is my project and review.Thanks Stiffler for the original idea.

Here is what my bike looked like before the paint.

I started by getting two cans of this just to play around with. I also got a sprayer for the rattle cans. Best $6.00 ever.

I started on the easily removable parts and cleaned them up real good with degreaser then isopropyl alcohol.

Next I layed a light base layer, and I let it dry for about 15 minutes. While that dried I prepped the side bed panels.

After the first coat I layed about 4-5 more coats until the red didn't show through anymore. I did find the texture to be really rough. Almost like sandpaper. I later realized the first two cans I got were probably bad and didn't lay well. Here is what the hood piece looked like with the bad cans.

The good thing about this stuff is you can just pull it off like a vinyl sticker and it leaves no residue behind. So I just peeled it off and went to get more paint from Lowe's. This new paint layed down way better. The first cans layed down pretty dry and matte looking, but the new cans layed down wet and glossy looking (which is what you want). So I went and finished the bed panels and the hood panel.

After finishing the bed I moved on the the side panels. I do recommend taping everything off with painters tape. The overspray can be removed pretty easily but taping it off was quicker and easier. If you do get overspray you can just pull it off or remove it with some xylene. Here is a video of how I pulled it off from the front medallion.

Here are the side panels. I did these the same way. Just a good coverage base coat followed by thicker and thicker coats. Also you want to lay it down with the can about 4-5 inches from the plastic. I sprayed overlapping 2-3 inches and moving slow but steady.

Here you can see how it looks wet and glossy when it is applied. Don't mind my ******* masking tape paper towels. I started to get low on tape and it was too late to go to the store.

I would also recommend taking it outside in the sunshine before you finish to make sure you didn't miss any spots. My lighting was good in my shop but I still missed a few spots that I could only see outside in the sunlight.

This is the completed job. It took me about six cans not including the first two cans that were bad.

I waited to write this review until I was able to get out and test the stuff to see how it would hold up. I didn't have too much confidence in it at first, but I was pretty impressed with it after a ride this weekend. I went through some tight trails with some tree scratches and nothing peeled off. I also took it through some good mud holes with no signs of peeling either. I am pretty impressed with it. Especially for the cost of the stuff. Its pretty cheap and easy to do for what outcome you get. I wouldn't expect it to hold up like paint in the long run, but it's good enough for me. I can take it off if I ever want to go back to red, or just touch up bad spots. All in all I would say this stuff is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics from my first ride with the new look.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Looks good, nice write up. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just found my new project for my bike, thanks for the write up trevor

·
Registered
716 Posts
Machine looks sweet. although I didnt mind the red either. now wash that sucker and give us all a good review on how the PD held up.

I just washed mine and while riding I went through a few hard hits with branches and all is great...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dude this is awesome!! Thanks so much for your hard work and this report! You sir are why I joined forums in the first place!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice job how is it holding up can you just touch up the scratches

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here is how you touch up and fix plasti-dip

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. So here's an update. I finally had some time to get it washed up today. So it had a good two days to let the mud sit on the plasti dip. I pressure washed the crap out of it. I even let the engine/tire cleaner chemical sit on it for about two minutes and then pressure washed everything off. Everything held up great. I also sprayed it down with purple power and let it sit for a few minutes. The only bad thing about the stuff it is hard to get clean. Meaning I just have to scrub it a little more than I did my original plastics. But hey its matte black compared to red so that may have something to do with it. The only spots that need some touch up are around the footwells where I rested my left boot. I guess I scratched it up a little when I was riding around. Nothing major though. Im impressed with the stuff.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if the glossifier would help clean easier?
I don't know if that would help or not. The stuff has a slight rubbery texture to it so I think that is what makes it hard to clean. I would try it but I don't want to loose my matte look.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very nice! what did you do about your decals?
now all you need is Red Halo rings for your lights
ATV
I removed all my decals. I work at a sign and wrap shop so I can make my own new decals. I was thinking of doing gloss black decals to go on the matte. Yeah the halos are awesome looking. I may have to look into getting some of those.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Could put some non skid tape where your foot sit's and it has a matte look to blend in.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could put some non skid tape where your foot sit's and it has a matte look to blend in.
I plan to touch up that spot and then lay some extra layers on there. If that doesn't work I have some matte black vinyl wrap that Ill just stick there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks amazing bud! I just went and bought a few cans of the flat black myself and hope to be doing mine tomorrow, just curious, how many cans did you end up using?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up using 6 not including the two bad cans the start. I would get 7 to be sure and then return what you don't use or just keep the extra cans for touch up later. And I would really recommend getting the trigger sprayer thing. Once you go through about 3 cans your fingers start cramping up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts