Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and family are all talking about planning a trip to Utah to ride the dunes and we are looking information and opinions on where to go and things to do. We are plaining on going in the last week of June or so and there will be possibly six side x sides. We plan on taking RV's so we need to know a good place to camp or camp ground. We are from western Canada so we are thinking about Utah because its not as far as other places. If anyone has anything we should know i'd be glad to hear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pink coral dune by knanb, ut. Or little Sarah by delta, ut. Than you saint Anthany, Idaho by rexsberg, Idaho

·
Registered
281 Posts
what are all three places like? st anthony would be good cause it is 6 hours closer or so.
Corral pinks are really soft & razor backs not a very big area to ride but very pretty , was there last summer . It was way to soft not much fun ( wife screaming ) mite be ok with paddles but I aired down to 7 lbs & you really have to keep your speed up . Jmo
St Anthony would be better i would think . Jmo
Have fun Steveo ---

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
St Anthony is a large sand dunes area. It has some real tall dunes, that you will not be able to clime with a stock Commander, maybe with a turbo you might be able to clime ( Choke Cherry). But there are a lot of places that you can ride over, and a lot of dunes that you can clime. Here are some pictures of St Anthonys dunes they are made up of quartz. I stayed at the BLM camp grounds, and they are real nice. They are first come first serve, they only have power hook ups thou. It is the only camp grounds that has a lake next to it, and the rest of the camp areas, are private resorts, and they are a little more per night. Have fun and keep us posted

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
St. Anthony is the better choice for June

My suggestion is St. Anthony for late in June ... I have ridden the Little Sahara dunes in Utah for decades and in late June the temperatures will most likely be fairly hot and the resident black biting bugs will be out for sure. Not pleasant by any means. St. Anthony however will just be about right in June. You can ride the sand till your eyes bug out, jump into the Egin Lakes and cool off, then ride desert trails and visit the ice caves that are fairly close. Good luck ... should be a blast.

:commanderroll:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I also recommend St. Anthony for the end of June. Too hot at Little Sahara then. We ride Little Sahara until the end of May. Then St. Anthony until the End of August. Then back to Little Sahara. Coral Pink is just a real small place. Not worth that far of a drive to go there. Plus it will be very hot the end of June. We usually go to St. Anthony over the 4th of July weekend. Maybe we can hook up and ride!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey ditchdigger have you ever riden the killpecker dunes in wy . Just wondering if they would be worth riding if I was in the area . I remember reading an article on them a long time ago & it seams it was a long road in .
Thanks Steveo ----

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Utah trip

Comment on the Black Flys/Bugs...
DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF DEODERANT, SHAVING CREAM, PERFUME FOR THE LADIES, HAIR SPRAY OR ANY SOAP THAT IS ODERIZED WITH ANY GOOD SMELLING STUFF....
Buy & use only unscented soap, I believe their are many specific for Babys sush as "Castille" and the like.
It is the perfume scent that attracts the Insects.
Learned the above (after many hard lessons) from the native Indians in No. Canada & Alaske on numerous hunting & fishing trips.
Be warned...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thank you for all the info these are things i need to know. im not sure about hooking up a ride i think we would be gone before the 4th of july weekend but we'll see. its great going places and having locals show you around and give you a good time. where would be a good place to stay if we were not to bring a rv?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well if you end up heading to Southern Utah hit me up I'm only an hour from Coral Pink. Would love an excuse to go riding out there again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
thank you for all the info these are things i need to know. im not sure about hooking up a ride i think we would be gone before the 4th of july weekend but we'll see. its great going places and having locals show you around and give you a good time. where would be a good place to stay if we were not to bring a rv?
There are several good hotels in Rexburg, ID. Don't stay in the one in the city of St. Anthony, ID it's kind of a dive. Plus there isn't much choices for food in St. Anthony. Rexburg has everything you will need.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hey ditchdigger have you ever riden the killpecker dunes in wy . Just wondering if they would be worth riding if I was in the area . I remember reading an article on them a long time ago & it seams it was a long road in .
Thanks Steveo ----
No I have not riden Killpecker dunes, I don't even know where they are. I have heard of them, but never been there.
Let me know if you are going to St A's and when you are going to be there, and maybe I can meet you there for a day or two. I am about 4hrs from there.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There are several good hotels in Rexburg, ID. Don't stay in the one in the city of St. Anthony, ID it's kind of a dive. Plus there isn't much choices for food in St. Anthony. Rexburg has everything you will need.
Commanderman, are you going to St. A's this year? Maybe we can meet up agin this year. I don't think I want to go no the Holiday because there will be too many people and the resort charge double for the 4th of July week.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Steveo ----
No I have not riden Killpecker dunes, I don't even know where they are. I have heard of them, but never been there.
Let me know if you are going to St A's and when you are going to be there, and maybe I can meet you there for a day or two. I am about 4hrs from there.
Ok that sounds good I don't have any plans at this time but when I go I'll shoot you a line for sure . I have been to st a's in 2004 but that was in my quad days .we stayed at that newer rv park & had a great time & like you said some tall dune & choke cherry hill is one big sb .iam 3 1/2 hrs to glamis & rode there for years but too many people now but still go once in a while . Have a good one !!
Steveo ------

·
Registered
34 Posts
St. Anthony for sure if dunes are what you want. Utah and Nevada are only a few hours away with endless desert trails. Nevada has no laws, fees, etc. Unpack and go from any trail. Elko, Nevada (north eastern part of the state) has FANTASTIC desert ridding. Knolls, Utah is pretty nice to, but in July the heat would kill you without an RV to cool down in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what is a good camp ground to stay in? any one know anything about egin lake camp ground. it looks like its close and has good parking for large motorhomes. does anyone know if we would have to make reservations now if we are going in the last week of june? thanks

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
what is a good camp ground to stay in? any one know anything about egin lake camp ground. it looks like its close and has good parking for large motorhomes. does anyone know if we would have to make reservations now if we are going in the last week of june? thanks
Elgin lake is the BLM camp grounds, They are nice, but it is first come first serve, so get there in the morning. They are the cheapest, and if you are over 62 you can get a senior pass that gets you a camp site for half price. They only have power hookups at each site no water or sewer hookup, but does have a lake right outside the gate in the dunes. It is a nice camp ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts