Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys in the Phoenix area who use the Boulders OHV area, backway to Crown King, or other local spots to wheel?

I'm interested in knowing about the current conditions there, how often if ever these sites are shut down, or anything else you can share...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went up this summer and they had improved the road a lot! Actually made it easier/less fun in spots. Joe from Desert Dog Offroad in fountain hills mentioned he went up recently and didn't say there were any problems. Probably will get snow tonight!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went up this summer and they had improved the road a lot! Actually made it easier/less fun in spots. Joe from Desert Dog Offroad in fountain hills mentioned he went up recently and didn't say there were any problems. Probably will get snow tonight!

Wow, I didn't realize that it actually snowed there!

How does the Commander do in the conditions there? Any areas that are difficult to negotiate, whether due to lack of ground clearance, suspension travel, power, etc? Do you see all different types of vehicles when you go up there (bikes, 4x4s, buggies, etc?). What's your guess as to the maximum width of a vehicle that can make use of most of the loop (like is much of it dirt bike single track or Commander width where full size 4x4s can't go)?

Thanks for all the info. I've got family in the area and am contemplating a variety of possible off-road machines to use in that area...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually don't have a CanAm but rather a Modified '08 RZR. You will be just fine getting to CK & I HIGHLY recommend the trip. Awesome to go from Sonoran Desert to pine trees in a couple hours. Great burgers and beers at the saloon that has been there since the 1800's. I've seen K5 blazers make it so you're good. Easy ride for the first 12 miles then it gets a little more technical but nothing crazy. It's mostly a jeep trail with a number of quads/bikes zipping by. Looks like we missed the storm last night but it does get COLD! Take some jackets, blankets and you'll be fine. Start from castle hot springs road on the northwest side of lake pleasant and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually don't have a CanAm but rather a Modified '08 RZR. You will be just fine getting to CK & I HIGHLY recommend the trip. Awesome to go from Sonoran Desert to pine trees in a couple hours. Great burgers and beers at the saloon that has been there since the 1800's. I've seen K5 blazers make it so you're good. Easy ride for the first 12 miles then it gets a little more technical but nothing crazy. It's mostly a jeep trail with a number of quads/bikes zipping by. Looks like we missed the storm last night but it does get COLD! Take some jackets, blankets and you'll be fine. Start from castle hot springs road on the northwest side of lake pleasant and enjoy the ride!

Great info, Hoover. Thanks!!

I just talked to the AZ DMV and they told me that OHV machines (under 1800 pounds), which are administered by Game and Fish as opposed to the DMV are much less restricted for off-roading. They said that there are many places where OHVs are permitted that full size vehicles (which are registered via the DMV) are not formally allowed. Is that your understanding as well - that the number of off-roading opportunities in the area are more numerous for OHV class machines as opposed to full size (greater than 1800 lbs)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
MNH,

We were at Crown King 5 years ago and went there via the Senator Highway (trail). It's accessed from the SE edge of Prescott. Not a difficult trail and quite scenic, probably a 35-45 mile ride one way.
Directions to Senator Highway from Prescott: From East Gurley to South Mt Vernon Ave, South thru town, will eventually become Senator Highway. Drive until pavement ends. Continue 200'-300' and park truck and trailer near intersection of Upper Wolf Creek Road.
Late December was a rock slide that has been cleared at about the 10-11 mile mark, otherwise is a nice ride. Have fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
holy revival! we do boulders pretty often for the last few months. friend with Teryx4 lives in the area. if anyone is interested in riding there, let me know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts