Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had the same issue happen twice now. The machine will run perfectly for about 2-3 hrs then goes into limp home mode, starts idling rough, and throws a check engine code. I turn it off and let it cool down, cut it back on, and it runs fine until it is hot again. I believe my ignition coil is going bad. My question is, are there any aftermarket ignition coils that will work for the commander? The oem is 179.99 from the dealership
Thanks,
Lane

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
There are aftermarket ignition coils on eBay in the $25-35 range. I would definitely try one of those before paying 180

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
It could be the coil but being you are getting a speed sensor Fault as well I would be leaning more towards the speed sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome would the speed sensor cause a misfire on bank 1 though? Should I take it out and clean it or cheap enough just to replace? Going to hook a fuel pressure meter on it tmrw afternoon just to make sure I’m getting 50 psi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also when I took the video the only code that appeared was the p0301. I had the dealership clear the codes earlier the same day

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Need to check the manual on how to check the coil and the Crank position Sensor. Not sure on the coil but the sensor should have resistance specs ohms. If its out of spec replace it . I maybe wrong but don't think its the coil. Only coils I have seen through codes were dead coils. Tours is running. But if Crank Sensor is going out it will throw misfire code. Then once it's dead it will throw Crank Sensor code.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If swapping the plug wires yields no results, you might try swapping the O2 sensors if they're accessible enough. If sensor 1 might not be reading right, it would then show cylinder 2 misfire. You could swap the main and accessory relays, and then check fuse F5 for a good connection. It feeds the speed sensor, the coil, and the injectors. Just stuff you can try for free.
power distribution.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome guys, I appreciate it! Me and my buddy will be working it out tmrw, I’ll give an update on what we find

1 - 10 of 10 Posts