Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low mileage 2011 800 Commander. If I'm driving along and cruising easy, everything is just fine. Idles great, etc. Once I stick my foot in it a little bit, about 30 mph, I get a check engine light and the little 4X4 indicator in the upper left hand corner of the display starts flashing to indicate it's in 4WD. It's not. If I back my foot off the throttle and take the load off, everything returns to normal. The vehicle never misses a beat. Even with the check engine light, it still runs fine with no problem. It's been this way for 3 years...albeit very little mileage. (it has 2000 miles on it total) I took it to the dealer and he gave me the P0106 code. They put in a new MAP sensor and thought it was fixed...but it lit the check engine light again but at a higher speed. They sent a download off the ECM to BRP to see what they say, but nothing back yet. I have done some looking here and saw something about a high altitude flash to the ECM fixed something similar. This vehicle came from a low altitude, so that is possible...but I've never heard of it. Does anyone else have something similar in their experiences or any ideas? Thanks guys!! Oh! The dealer says the flashing 4WD indicator and check engine light are tied together. Not sure where he gets that from...

· Administrator
27,739 Posts
They had a update many yrs ago for this sane problem. It was the ecm lighting up the 4wd indicator will driving when not in 4wd. Their is a update flash just for fixing the 4wd light from coming on.

If you are running high altitude and running high octane gas that could be triggering the check engine light. But it's typically followed by pour starting and loss of power at high altitude. The standard 800 and 1000 were timed for 87 not 89 and up.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great info as well. I'm going to order that part if the dealer doesn't flash it and cure it. I spoke with him yesterday and they are talking about a new ECM. That just won't fly with me. I use to be an OTC trainer in my old life dealing with OBDII and other multiplex systems on automobiles. I never, ever saw an ecm fail for software issues. They could always be reflashed. I've seen them totally fail from physical failtures...electrical shorts...etc, but software could always be reflashed back to original.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This issue has been resolved. I was told there was no ECM update (flash) available. Thanks to Ace, I was able to convince the dealer to keep after BRP to find the update we needed. After a lot of emails, someone in Belgium of all places knew what update we needed and was able to provide what was needed. It flat cured the check engine light and the 4WD light. Thanks again Ace for your valuable input. This problem would not have been solved without you.

· Administrator
27,739 Posts
Glad someone took the time to find ot again. Last I recall anyone having this issue was in 13 or 14. But I guess almost everyone had forgot about the flash update. 10yrs later.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts