Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 commander 1000xt that was having a problem running hot. I have changed the water impeller and now it will circulate water and run normal temp for a bit and then stop circulating and begin to heat up again. When the impeller was changed I ensures all air was removed from the cooling system. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
Thermostat or still got air. When you think you got through air out it still has air.

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
Or dirty radiator. Once the bottom gets clogged up you have to remove the fan shroud to get the junk out from between the radiator and the shroud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced thermo. Fan. Cleaned radiator. I’m burping the radiator myself. I saw some of the other threads about running it up to 2500 rpms. How long do you do that for. Till it starts boiling or? Just for a little bit? I bought the big funnel but as it gets hotter it eventually starts to overflow out of the bog funnel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just saw I was leaking underneath. Seems the gasket for the plastic piece the bleeder screw goes Into went and it was leaking pretty bad. Took that plastic piece off and the gasket looks like a washer with rubber around it. Can I run to the automotive store and get some gasket maker to replace this or is there some other fix?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alright I fixed that problem. No leak. Have the commander jacked up in the front center. A three ton jacks on top of two 4x4s. Ran it to 6 bars four times. Squeezing hoses inbetween runs. Radiator feels cool in the center and I can feel air flow from the fan pretty strongly. Hoses on both sides of radiator feel hot. Hoses leading to both heads feel hot. And hose leader to fuel pump feels hot.as it heats up coolant fills up the funnel and when I shut it of it sucks it back down. I bled both bleed screws and get nothing but coolant. Am I doing anything wrong or missing anything?

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
Jack you just the left front corner. If it starts to get overly hot shut it off let it cool and do it again when cold. You can't push air without water only cold water. If you got a tree in the yard take it out to the tree use ladder to put strap around tree about 12' off the ground then winch the commander up to just about the point of rolling over then shake it side to side let hang for a while let it back down till about 4ft off ground and start it. Let it run and see if it over heats . Only had to do one that way but was out of options. Everything including the radiator had been replaced and wasn't getting any air out of the bleed screws. But it would over heat in 4 minutes and radiator and hoses were still cold and engine was boiling over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the info. If all the hoses are hot and both sides of the radiator is that good evidence the water pump is circulating it?

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
Yes Jack it up about a ft and a half to make the fill cap the highest point in the system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got it to the point where I was getting no bubbles at all. Either there is some really tough ones or the air is out. But it was still overheating. So I ordered the boysen high flow water pump. Hoping maybe that will fix it. Im
Thinking im getting coolant movement but not great flow. Only other thing could be head gasket and I really don’t thing that. No coolant in exhaust. None in oil. No bubbles in reservoir

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Jack you just the left front corner. If it starts to get overly hot shut it off let it cool and do it again when cold. You can't push air without water only cold water. If you got a tree in the yard take it out to the tree use ladder to put strap around tree about 12' off the ground then winch the commander up to just about the point of rolling over then shake it side to side let hang for a while let it back down till about 4ft off ground and start it. Let it run and see if it over heats . Only had to do one that way but was out of options. Everything including the radiator had been replaced and wasn't getting any air out of the bleed screws. But it would over heat in 4 minutes and radiator and hoses were still cold and engine was boiling over.
I can hear my wife yellin, "have you lost your damn mind!" lol

But frankly, I can see the logic in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts