Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 Commander XT 1000. I can't get it to stop overheating.

Fan works. 1st I installed override switch did not fix it. 2nd I did thermostat delete kit - did not fix it and am contemplating putting a thermostat back in it after reading the mixed reviews on the delete kits. 3rd I put a new impeller in the water pump, did not fix it. 4th I put a new radiator in it, did not fix it. 5th I put a water temperature sensor in it, did not fix it. Have followed all the bleed steps after each attempt to fix it other than the override switch.

Frankly, I am weary of troubleshooting and am finally contemplating taking to a dealer which I know will suck. Especially the ones that are close to me.

Should I change out water pump? If that does not work, then what?

Should I do something different?

I am not a great mechanic. What I know I have learned by reading on this forum.

I would appreciate help!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Couple things you haven't mentioned rad dirty? have you done a good method of bleeding the air out of it?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding.

The radiator is brand new so it should not be dirty.

I bought the funnel kit off of Amazon. I used it yesterday.

At idle, after it has ran a few minutes it will warm up, fan will kick on and it will cool down.

The strange thing is I used to be able to ride all day long if I stayed under 40mph

Now it seems to be getting worse. Yesterday I could not ride for extended periods without it overheating.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Jack left front up have someone hold throttle to 2500 rpm remove fill cap add antifreeze as needed till full. If it starts to over heat put cap back on let cool start over. Once at 2500 rpm and cap is removed do not let off throttle till cap is back on.

If you don't have a helper try with your funnel 1/3 full from cold till it circulates a couple times.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Might want to do a compression check to make sure you don't have a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jack left front up have someone hold throttle to 2500 rpm remove fill cap add antifreeze as needed till full. If it starts to over heat put cap back on let cool start over. Once at 2500 rpm and cap is removed do not let off throttle till cap is back on.

If you don't have a helper try with your funnel 1/3 full from cold till it circulates a couple times.
when you say jack left front up do you mean passenger side or driver Side?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts