Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new XT. Put approx 2.5 hrs - 15 miles on it Saturday. Today I rode it for 2 minutes and it started to overheat to the point it boiled over. I limped it home and stopping to let it cool down. Checked radiator fluid and empty/low, nothing in over flow. No mud in radiator. Dealer is 2 hrs from my house. Any suggestion before I load it up to take back?

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Fill it back up and bleed the air out. It was probably full of air when you bought it .

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Get the front wheels up in the air a couple feet to help the air bubbles come out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Called dealer and I asked about doing this. They “felt” that they should look it over so back I took it. Hopefully
Not a sign of times to come

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Ace my decoder ring is acting up

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Ace I know you can handle it .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer called. They said that the coolant line was off. They claimed that there was a known problem with hose clamps and that was the reason. Hopefully this doesn’t become a problem. My first Can Am product and thus far I’m not impressed

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Can am been using junk clamps since day one. And being they actually told you it was a known problem tell them to replace them all. With quality clamps not the factory ones .

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hopefully they know how to burp the cooling system and go to the trouble to do so. It;s a pita. I'd check the coolant level when I got it back and again after first use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up my new XT. Put approx 2.5 hrs - 15 miles on it Saturday. Today I rode it for 2 minutes and it started to overheat to the point it boiled over. I limped it home and stopping to let it cool down. Checked radiator fluid and empty/low, nothing in over flow. No mud in radiator. Dealer is 2 hrs from my house. Any suggestion before I load it up to take back?
I was wondering why mine was running so hot as well! I rode it for an hour after taking it off the lot brand new and it was almost maxed out on the bars in the temp gauge. Also uncomfortably hot in the interior. Dealer is also 2 hours and closed today and tomorrow. Was hoping to ride. I read all below and see where someone said "fill it up again"...fill what up again? And another suggestion to bleed the air out is to raise the two front tires? Can you expand on that as well? This is my first purchase of CanAM and already not going well.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fill back up with antifreeze. Then raise the front end in the air (drive up incline or anyway) to let any air escape that may be trapped.
Don’t quote me on it, but I believe that the antifreeze is not your regular green anti freeze.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Summer-
The burping procedure is described in your owner's manual under 'maintenance procedures'-'cooling system bleeding'. And I use green coolant that mixes with all colors, good for aluminum, etc. Also, the manual says to raise it 2 feet, which I did not have reasonable means to do. I used regular car ramps. And it took several doses. If this is a new buggy, your dealer should have had everything done before you took possession. Don't you think?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts