Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I dont think the xmr has a open diff? the electric commander has a electric unlocking rear diff you mite be able to make that work

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mud Yapster i dont believe that the xmr diff is an open diff. Colorado I think polaris is the only of the big companies producing an open diff in a sxs. As for a can am offering an open diff in a machine I am unaware of any. Possibly on the electric commander? Im unsure but someone may chime in with more info.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
It's one option I haven't heard of. Most are more interested in making there's quieter. Would be nice to have something like the Ranger.

·
Registered
716 Posts
none of them are open. you would get dirt in there and wreck them...

Oo is captians night for me...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will contact Can Am about the electric. An open rear differential does not mean "open" as in open to the elements. Open diffs allow the rear wheels to turn at different speeds. Many also include the option to lock them up.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I love reading these forums. One can learn so much. Subscribed..........lol

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
738 Posts
I will contact Can Am about the electric. An open rear differential does not mean "open" as in open to the elements. Open diffs allow the rear wheels to turn at different speeds. Many also include the option to lock them up.
I think Stiff was making a funny. :icon_ goofy:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Many of us have laughs and giggles with a sarcastic dash mixed in now and then, just like I do occasionally. It's all good and hope no one takes it the wrong way to offend.....just lightening the forum air.

One of my dad's stories from the 50s -

When a howling rear-end used car was traded in, some car lots would put in a super high tech shim stock material.... it's properties were, or acted like, multi viscosity, flexible, shapeable, plyable, resilient, durable, and actually worked to quiet noisy rearends down without having the cost or hassle to repair them. I'm thinking of adding that same material to our Cowmander rear-end to give it that same 70 year old bandaid from yesteryear............. ground-up cork material.

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
One of my dad's stories from the 50s -

When a howling rear-end used car was traded in, some car lots would put in a super high tech shim stock material.... it's properties were, or acted like, multi viscosity, flexible, shapeable, plyable, resilient, durable, and actually worked to quiet noisy rearends down without having the cost or hassle to repair them. I'm thinking of adding that same material to our Cowmander rear-end to give it that same 70 year old bandaid from yesteryear............. ground-up cork material.
I've heard sawdust does the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have sent a few emails to BRP/CanAm inquiring about the possibility of replacing mine with the one from the electric version. It is a true open diff with an electric locker, just like the one in my F150 with the "offroad" option.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Huh...BRP makes a diff with an electric locker....but they can't seem to find a way to put one in our front diffs....go figure!!!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My guess is because the qe is almost like a locker best of both worlds I like how I can drive around in 4x4 and not tell the diff The qe is good for most riders out there Except the hardcore rock climbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
711 Posts
what is the reason for wanting an open diff, to make it street legal, or turf friendly...? my bud's AC prowler has a limited slip style rear diff, in high traction situations on sketchy terrain it's certainly not the best setup.

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
If mine did that I would not be too happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
My brother has one and Jason Oakley had one and they don't do that . They are only Supposed to slip right before a cv would break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts