Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you are aware, SxSs in Ontario are classified under Highway Traffic Act (HTA) and Off-Road Vehicles Act as off-road vehicle (ORV) and are not permitted to operate on the roads or shoulder of the rural roads (as in the case of an ATV). We are allowed to do 90* road crossing nonetheless. Without the use of the shoulder it is next to impossible to connect the trails. Any violation of the HTA is subject to a ticket in the hundred of dollars.

We, members of the RZR Forum, are starting a campaign to lobby our MPP and putting pressure on MTO to update the HTA to allow equity in use of SxSs and ATVs.

A sample letter I sent to my MPP Kathleen Wynne earlier this month is as follows:

As an avid outdoors person I always enjoy open country activities. We have recently purchased a Side by Side Vehicle (SxS) and are very keen on riding off-road and in the trails. Whereas an All-terrain Vehicle (ATV) is legal for use in the Province the SxSs, introduced by the industry since 2003, are not permitted under the Highway Traffic Act for country roads which are often required for connecting the trails. It should be noted that while the SxS shares a similar physical dimension and engine platform to an ATV they have a full roll cage and seat belts both of which are important safety considerations when traveling with family members.

I understand that the MTO staffs had defined what SxSs are but were in no rush to make changes to the Act to allow use of those vehicles on the country roads. 10 years have gone by and it is time for the province to make changes to the act to allow the use of the SxSs for both social and economic benefits for the rural communities, and make it a more inviting place for out of province riders to visit.

Please let me know when we may expect the completion of the amendment to the Act allowing the use of SxS in the Province.

I am seeking your support and urge you to send letters to you MPP.

It will be a long journey but it has to start somewhere. Let’s work together to create a better environment for the SxS riders.

Regards...

Danny

·
Registered
48 Posts
Excellent work. We all need to come together so that the concerned political leaders recognized all the potential benefits that updating the traffic laws will have for many communities.

Thank you for sharing your letter and thoughts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your support. Together we can get our MPPs working and put pressure on MTO.

Contact your SxS buddies...

Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remember guys,if You can show them tourism dollars could be had for the communities involved,it could happen.It works for the Snowmobliers.Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Guys,

The SxS's should be clear on the trails for as early as spring of this year. In the interim if your going to ride the trails make sure your helmet is on, you have your ownership and insurance and you should be okay. I received this information from a local police officer here. The local police department here actually has a yamaha SxS that they will be using on the trails this spring to enforce permits etc etc.

Looking like its finally going to happen ...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anybody know what rule needs to be modified in the act? I spoke with my mpp after reading this post and they need the explicit details as to which law needs modification.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anybody know what rule needs to be modified in the act? I spoke with my mpp after reading this post and they need the explicit details as to which law needs modification.
It is the Ontario Highway Traffic Act that needs to be amended to give SxS ability to ride on the shoulder of the roads (same as the ATV). The HTA is so complex you need a law degree to decipher.

Ask your MPP to channel your Email to MTO for an explanation why SxSs are not allowed the same ridership as ATVs and when it will be updated.

MPPs are elected to represent your interest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is the Ontario Highway Traffic Act that needs to be amended to give SxS ability to ride on the shoulder of the roads (same as the ATV). The HTA is so complex you need a law degree to decipher.

Ask your MPP to channel your Email to MTO for an explanation why SxSs are not allowed the same ridership as ATVs and when it will be updated.

I got a reply back from Glen Murray, Minister of Transportation (CC Premier/MPP Don Valley West, Kathleen Wynne) regarding the proposed change in expanding on-road access for SxS. It is in secured PDF format which I wouldn't know how to cut/paste for posting here.

Essentially Murray says his ministry is not considering making immediate changes to the Act. However, it will review the “Quebec SxS Pilot” results due in May/June for future consideration.

Not surprised, but disappointing nonetheless!

·
Registered
93 Posts

I got a reply back from Glen Murray, Minister of Transportation (CC Premier/MPP Don Valley West, Kathleen Wynne) regarding the proposed change in expanding on-road access for SxS. It is in secured PDF format which I wouldn't know how to cut/paste for posting here.

Essentially Murray says his ministry is not considering making immediate changes to the Act. However, it will review the “Quebec SxS Pilot” results due in May/June for future consideration.

Not surprised, but disappointing nonetheless!
Yah I hear yah, I was hoping to hear some changes made for early this year ... that sounds like it might take awhile. Thanks for posting!!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
subscribed guys, what happens there will eventually happen here!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ORV Act was introduced in 2003. Other than some minor revisions, it essentially remains the same. As it stands, a SxS is prohibited from provincial highways and municipal roads including the shoulder of the road. On the other hand, a standard ATV is allowed to operate on the shoulder of the rural road.

The ORV Act does allow a SxS to travel 90* across a road way.

Without the legal means to travel on the shoulder of the rural roads (like the ATV), the SxS can’t easily connect the trails in most cases.

I am not sure what exceptions are there for northern Ontario.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The ORV Act was introduced in 2003. Other than some minor revisions, it essentially remains the same. As it stands, a SxS is prohibited from provincial highways and municipal roads including the shoulder of the road. On the other hand, a standard ATV is allowed to operate on the shoulder of the rural road.

The ORV Act does allow a SxS to travel 90* across a road way.

Without the legal means to travel on the shoulder of the rural roads (like the ATV), the SxS can’t easily connect the trails in most cases.

I am not sure what exceptions are there for northern Ontario.
You are correct,I have taken what I read wrong.
I belong to a club in northern ontario and when a planned ride is set,there are 2 different departure locations
1 - for atv's
2 - for two on a atv and side x sides

These are because of the very reason's you speak of.This is an absolute,
ridiculous law that need's to be changed.
Sorry for the misinterpretation of the law.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem. I took me a while to understand the situation.

To build a better future for all of us, just go after your MPP and apply pressure on MTO....

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts