Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning Bill 46 of Ontario pass. UTV, SxS, 2up ATV, ... will be legal to drive on the shoulder like the ATV. :rating08:

John Vanthof

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called OPP yesterday, to see if the officer will be giving out fines and I was talking to an officer that his in charge of updating the constable that are patrolling about the new laws. Her told me that once the bill is pass, it can take up to 3 months for the law to change.

So one constable can't let you go and the next one might be having a bad day and will nail you with the biggest fine he can!

Don't take a chance and wait for the law to change!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is there an update on this status? I live in the deep woods of Northern Ontario, if this is passed and legal, I would like to take a copy with me while riding to ensure I have no issues.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call you local opp to see if the law has change. But i don't think they have yet

·
Registered
18 Posts
hold on guys...you need to read the mto report as it is up to them when and if they will pass this and then the law will be in place.
as of now the bill passed in the government and at first was shot down by the minister.

Since then the minister has changed and new guy is pushing for ruling but it will not be heard until fall sitting in sept/oct. I believe it said.
Assuming they make the changes it will take a bit before it is law.
There is an online article if you search under mto ruling on it.
This summer would have been nice but looks like next spring is best scenario....our government dragging its feet as usual

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks gander, that's the info I was looking for. Its not what I wanted to hear, but I at least know where it stands.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seen this on my local website (Sault Ste. Marie)

New provincial legislation, which begins July 1, will allow enhanced on-road access for two-up ATVs, side-by-side ORVs and utility terrain vehicles (UTVs).
The previous legislation only allowed ATVs that you straddle to sit on and include handlebars to ride along the side of roads.

New Regulations Improves Safety Requirements for Riders
Ontario has enhanced on-road access for more types of ORVs and ATVs while increasing safety requirements so riders can safely and easily reach their destinations, announced David Orazietti, MPP.
“Connecting Northern Ontario’s trails through increased on-road access will benefit local residents while boosting economic activity and expanding tourism opportunities,” said Orazietti. “By enabling municipalities to pass by-laws consistent with these new regulations our government is delivering important changes and new options to safely explore and enjoy the unique experiences our province offers.”
Beginning July 1, 2015, the following changes will be implemented:

• More types of ORVs & ATVs will be allowed enhanced on-road access, including two-up ATVs, side-by-side ATVs and utility terrain vehicles (UTVs).
  • All riders – including drivers and passengers of all ages – must wear a helmet and use a seatbelt or foot rests, where applicable.
  • Maximum overall width of equipment permitted, excluding mirrors, will now be 2.03 metres or 79.9 inches
Between July 1, 2015 and September 1, 2015 a public education period will be implemented to assist the public and riding community adjust to the changes.
Beginning in September the full implementation will be in place.
“These new changes are great news for those of us who use off-road vehicles like side-by-sides, ATVs and UTVs,” said Don Calvert, Chairman, Sault Accessible Sports Incorporated and an off-road vehicle enthusiast. “Now individuals and families like ours can enjoy greater access to the outdoors and will see more opportunities for recreational activities in and around our community.”
Northern Ontario is home to thousands of kilometres of recreational trails making it a popular destination for riders from across Canada and the world.
Consultations with a wide array of trail, municipal, industry, enforcement, health and safety stakeholders informed the changes to strike the right balance between safety, enhanced trail access and the expansion of tourism and local economic development opportunities.
Exploring Northern Ontario’s tourism and recreational opportunities is part of the government’s economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow.
The comprehensive plan focuses on Ontario’s greatest strengths – its people and strategic partnerships.
“Our government recognizes the importance of a vibrant, sustainable and safe powersports sector in Ontario, and we support providing Ontarians with options to safely explore our vast province,” said Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation.
QUICK FACTS

• Drivers operating a permitted ORV along a road or highway must hold at least a G2 or M2 driver’s licence, and their vehicle must be registered and insured.
  • Previous to July 1, 2015, only single-rider ATV’s, manufactured to carry a driver only and no passengers, could operate along certain provincial and municipal highways.
  • Off-road vehicle (ORVs) is a broad term that can include single-rider, two-up and side-by-side ATVs and utility terrain vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like they sre moving things ahead. Just need to check with your municipality after july 1 to be sure of laws in your area. Nice to see them pushing it thru

·
Registered
70 Posts
From what I read in the whole article, sounds like locally they might allow them on more roads locally too... that would be awesome here for me, I am not too far from the trail system, if I didn't need to trailer, that would be even better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in stone mills township near kingston and I was at the municipal office the other day and asked about the roads we were allowed on as atvs have been ok for years and the main guy hadn,t even heard of the law changing...will check with opp before going to far.

·
Registered
70 Posts
your welcome, they did say that if your township doesn't pass an appropriate bylaw by the time this goes into effect in September or October, then its illegal like it was before. All townships are to pass this bylaw, but if its not done in time, then there will be a period of time where its still illegal. From now till then (October sometime, hunting season), they will warn you it might be illegal, but after that date, all these laws take effect, unless of course your township doesn't pass the bylaw. Apparently its difficult to find all the info (according to the town meeting I attended), so some of the smaller townships are having a hard time getting the bylaw ready.

Also a "highway" is defined as any engineered road, so many logging roads are "highways", you will want to be careful of that one.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Stopped in a OPP ride program yesterday coming out of a bush road
and the officer did not
ask for anything , he was more interested in the mander ...lol
Waved me through but asked all the quads for papers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts