Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got buggy running good. Then a pop in the rear... Trailing arm bomts. Checked them visually every time put bed up. So have the arm at a shop to get bolts out. Didn't want to screw it up. Looming at it and theres oil stains on passenger side diff. Is that an axle seal? Do i have to take the diff apart? Thinking im jinxed! Btw i got 10.9 bolts to replace with.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is it called an axle seal or diff seal?

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So 51? Thanks guys. I saw that too and it confused me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So 51? Thanks guys. I saw that too and it confused me.

Yes. And if you're doing it yourself, and not pressed for time, I would just pull the seal and take it to a bearing supply. You could get a replacement much cheaper.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so pull the axle and just pry seal out and press back in?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes, just make sure you don't damage seal recess in diff in the process. And by the way, were those trailing arm bolts 10 or 12mm? If they are 10's, they need to be drilled and tapped to 12mm. Factory service bulletin on that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ueah 10s. I dont have stuff to do that. Giess i should take.it to a machine shop? Thought maybe 10.9 would do the trick. Par for the course in my life. Shou2 kist fix it and trade on a x3

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, that's something you have to weigh out. I do my own repairs, which eliminates high labor costs and questionable repair jobs. You could just go back with good 10mm bolts, looking at it like you got 8 good years out of the originals (assuming they were original). I also would like to have an X3.....but not enough to drop 20+ large. Lots of folks do, though. If you roll around in a new tricked-out X3, you'll likely get more leg.....something to think about.:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So canned once again you gave me courage and im going to try and make homes bigger. Seems like its going to take alot of the meat out of the bracket. I drilled 1 he couldn't start tap. They didn't have 10.5mm bjt so gave me 1 just a touch smaller. Thi k thats the problem. Went and got 27/64 bit which is a touch bigger. Will trh again tomorrow. Waiting for arm with broken bolts to get back from machine shop. At leazt got bearings greased and ordered seals. Might as well change both sides. Will keep posted.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You go! Just take your time and give it your best. Make sure you drill and tap squarely, don't drill metal at max drill speed, use oil with drill and tap. When tapping, I thread in a bit, then back out a bit to clear chips, then in some more, etc. Just don't get overzealous in general. If you break a drill bit or tap off in a hole, especially a blind hole, you'll be swearing at the world, with good reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts