Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to replace the stator and the gasket. I was wondering if anyone had this part of the service manual handy? I was wondering about the torque specs of the bolts on the cover and the particular pattern to tighten them, if any. I was also wondering if it is recommended to use some RTV type of product around the grommet for the wiring. If so, only on the sides that directly touch the case or all the way around, including where the grommet touches the gasket? Thanks again for all of the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
On page 85, it does show to apply a sealant on the grommet as shown in the referenced picture. The arrow in the picture is pointing at the flat side where it meets the gasket. I'm wondering if they're just pointing out the grommet, or specifically stating to apply it on that flat spot where it meets the gasket and nowhere else. Has anyone ever replaced the stator, and if so, did you use sealant only on the flat side of the grommet, or all the way around it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Alright, let's close out this post once and for all...Hopefully...I installed a new stator and gasket and that seems to have solved the issue. I didn't have any of the silicone recommended in the manual, but I did use some Ultra Black Permatex around the grommet. The oil pressure light still does come on after the engine is hot and comes down to an idle. But with the slightest bit of throttle it goes off. So, I have to believe it's just barely getting too low. I will probably just let it be unless someone has another recommendation. I thought about running some 30 weight through it instead of the recommended 40 weight. Either way, I really appreciate all of the help I got on this issue! It truly is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
If you in warmer weather now Switch to 20/50. I would pull the plug out above the sensor and put a manual gauge in and start it. Just to confirm you have good oil pressure at idle. Then pull gauge back out and put plug back in .

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Also, if the oil pressure really is too low, there's a shim that can be added, I think very easily, that will increase oil pressure. I don't know the dimensions of it but warranty killer performance sells one for about 10 bucks. Can Am Oil Pressure Shim

21 - 27 of 27 Posts