Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone! I'm in the process of doing a full service on a machine with the 2015 800 motor. I was having some issues with oil pressure light coming on at idle after it's warmed up and also a leak near the sensor. I replaced the sensor and still had the leak. I just now discovered that it's actually leaking at the grommet where the stator wires exit the case. After doing a bunch of reading on here it seems that is a well known issue. I think I'm going to try the permatex or rtv fix first and see what it does. Unless someone recommends I don't! Now, for my actual question. During my trial and error search for this leak, I saw a set screw above the oil pressure sensor. I backed it off and cleaned up around it. Then when I put my sensor back in I realized the sensor wouldn't snug tight. So I threaded it in as far as it would go and then tightened down the set screw pretty tight and then I was able to snug up the sensor. Does anyone know what that set screw is all about? I've never seen a single person mention it in any video I watch or post I read. I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up! I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I had a picture of it handy, but I don't. Here is a picture from another thread on the forum that shows it. It's right above the sensor, where the 2 wires in the picture intersect.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It's referred to as a plug in the parts fiche. Probably an accommodation in the crankcase design for another oil sensor, or a spot that was cross-drilled to accommodate the sensor that's there, then tapped and plugged. I'm guessing there was nothing under it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly didn't take it all the way out. But when I didn't have it in very far the sensor never did snug up. Once I tightened the set screw I was able to tighten the sensor the last half turn or so.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Now I'm wishing you would pull both out, (plug and sensor), put your good eye on it, and report back.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
And that plug looks to be pipe thread. So definitely want to put some Teflon on the threads before putting it back in .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up putting some teflon on the sensor when I put it back in, just for some added precaution. That was before I realized my leak was coming from the stator wiring grommet. I may pull that plug and sensor out and see what I can discover. I did a valve adjustment on it last week and it was the first time I'd ever adjusted valves on anything. I made sure the marks on the gear were parallel with the top of the jug on the low side and not on top, and that the corresponding cylinder number was lined up in the crank sensor hole. When I checked them, I couldn't get the feeler gauge in them until I loosened the lock nut and backed them off. So I adjusted all of them to the middle of the spec range. Now I can hear some valve chatter, but I'm not sure what is normal. I know these things aren't whisper quiet. I only put about 10 minutes on it before I went through and did a full service. I just bought it and wanted to make sure I was starting with all new fluids and filters and an all around tune up. It starts up and runs great throughout the power band, but I'm just a little paranoid I guess. I've also been wondering about the engine temp. I went ahead and replaced the thermostat and water pump impeller and flushed the system. After it gets up to temp it repeatedly raises to 195 and the fan kicks on and drops it down to 160-165ish and the process repeats, even while running down the road in fairly mild conditions. At risk of getting banned from the forum, I guess I should also mention that it's not actually a Defender. It's a 2016 Intimidator 800 Crew. After doing some research I discovered that they used the same motor as the Defender from Rotax. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find many resources for the Intimidator, so I've been poaching information off the Can-Am forum. I've got so many questions that I'm trying to figure out. I love to learn and get in there and do things. So, I apologize for the long post(s) but all of the help is appreciated beyond words!

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Yeah can am Temp runs 205 to 215 then fan kicks on and back off at 205. So 195 would be great for the mid engine machines . Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the valve chatter? Do these motors have a unique sound to them? I'm just trying to figure out if I should double check my adjustments, even though I double checked each one after tightening the lock nut. I guess one other thing of note, when I did the valves, the valve train in cylinder 2 was a dark color. Almost like it was covered in soot or carbon. Cylinder one was nice and clean metal. I figured that wasn't normal.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Never had any Valve chatter on the commander or my quad. You do get a tick from the primary clutch buy its pretty obvious that it's low and to the side .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm wishing you would pull both out, (plug and sensor), put your good eye on it, and report back.
So, I did a little investigating last night. I removed the set screw and the sensor. Sure enough, the hole for the screw goes all the way through the top of where the sensor screws in.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So is it just a plug, or does it serve to intersect with, contact, or bind the pressure sensor threads?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tonight I will be putting it all back together and I will do some experimenting to determine what, if any, effect one has on the other. I took the sensor off to give myself some room to seal up the grommet for the stator wiring that was leaking. It will be good to go tonight, so I'll report back tomorrow with additional findings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts