Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5W40 and have been happy with it. I have read several others on here use the same. I also this summer installed MrRpm's remote filter kit and am very happy so far. Oil changes should be affordable now.
Mr 4x4ff Can you tell me more about the MrRpm remote filter kit.
Acefire gave you the link for it. Here is the link for the post about my install http://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/48913-remote-oil-filter-install.html

And I've attached some better pictures of it. So far I have been very pleased and it makes oil changes much less messy.

Steve
Steve, it looks like in your pictures the remote lines are all contained within the “tunnel”, if this is the case I should be able to make it work with my aftermarket heater.
Do you have any concerns with the filter getting punctured by rocks or debris?
Did you have to supply your own hoses or did I read their website wrong?
Thanks for your time. Booger.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey Boogs,

I had cams fender liners installed and when I ordered them he threw in an extra scrap piece bent to kinda shroud the oil filter. I've linked the thread about my install below with some pics. No I'm not worried however if you don't have his fender liners I would find a scrap of UHMW or even thin aluminum to make a shield just in case. If there was no shield to me there is just to big a chance of a rock or a stick being thrown up and puncturing the filter.

The hoses are the most expensive part of the whole deal. I did get heavy duty 3/8" 4500 PSI hoses that have shields where it crosses over the front screen in the firewall area. It is the fittings that are expensive. I have linked the thread with hose sizes and pictures.

http://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/48913-remote-oil-filter-install.html

I would definitely do it again.

If you got any other questions...just ask.

Steve

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh and I forgot to add.....You can install the hoses with just taking the normal plastics off like when you service it. Do yourself a favor and take out the glove box and then the front plastic on the tunnel. It is a PITA but will make the install go much easier.

Steve

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Oh and I forgot to add.....You can install the hoses with just taking the normal plastics off like when you service it. Do yourself a favor and take out the glove box and then the front plastic on the tunnel. It is a PITA but will make the install go much easier.

Steve
Thanks for posting the link to your original thread. Nice write up, I even posted in it so thanks for the reminder. This is something I’ve thought about doing off and on for awhile.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

Steve
Thanks for posting the link to your original thread. Nice write up, I even posted in it so thanks for the reminder. This is something I’ve thought about doing off and on for awhile.
Made my last oil change a breeze with NO mess. I just put a ziplock bag over the filter and unscrew it. No drips.

Steve

Reactions: acefire

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can-Am filter. Amsoil fluids throughout and ws2 where appropriate.
After your comments a while back about the "big boys" using Amsoil, I checked around on some folks that I know use it for other vehicles. I had been a die hard user of T6 Rotella in my 3500 Ram Dually. I spoke with a few people who also were die hards but ended up trying Amsoil in their diesels. After 3,000 miles they reported no darkening of the oil in the Ram. They also felt like it ran smoother. Ran into a construction company owner who uses Amsoil in his heavy stuff.

All of that combined, I believe I am going to follow your lead on this and use Amsoil fluids all the way around in my Can Am. Probably going to go to that on my Ram as well. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
While I have you on the horn, where and how do you apply the ws2 and where have you been getting it in user form? I do my own reloading and have frequently coated my bullets in Molybdenum. I notice a difference in my placement when Molybdenum is used. Are you using a grease with that in it?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
While I have you on the horn, where and how do you apply the ws2 and where have you been getting it in user form? I do my own reloading and have frequently coated my bullets in Molybdenum. I notice a difference in my placement when Molybdenum is used. Are you using a grease with that in it?
I sell it in pre measured packets on my web site.
www.uatv-tech.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have officially switched over to Rotella T6 5w40. Had a bunch of credit from RMATVMC and won $10 from playing Fantasy Supercross, so have enough oil filters for next couple years and oil plug washers for probably 10 years lol. Sorry if pic turns out sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,157 Posts

After your comments a while back about the "big boys" using Amsoil, I checked around on some folks that I know use it for other vehicles. I had been a die hard user of T6 Rotella in my 3500 Ram Dually. I spoke with a few people who also were die hards but ended up trying Amsoil in their diesels. After 3,000 miles they reported no darkening of the oil in the Ram. They also felt like it ran smoother. Ran into a construction company owner who uses Amsoil in his heavy stuff.

All of that combined, I believe I am going to follow your lead on this and use Amsoil fluids all the way around in my Can Am. Probably going to go to that on my Ram as well. Thanks for the info.

I’m not sure sure which thread you’ve read and I’m not a scientist, just a ploomber, but I do run the amsoil front to back in my race Jeep and both of my diesel F350’s and use their oil filters. In my Commander all of the fluids are amsoil and I just picked up a K&N oil filter on Acefire’s suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts

I’m not sure sure which thread you’ve read and I’m not a scientist, just a ploomber, but I do run the amsoil front to back in my race Jeep and both of my diesel F350’s and use their oil filters. In my Commander all of the fluids are amsoil and I just picked up a K&N oil filter on Acefire’s suggestion.

If you use the K&N, how do you purchase the "o" ring seals and the washers for drain plugs? Also, being a bit lazy, what weight Amsoil are you using in the motor if you are using it year round? Please state oil weights all the way around. I purchased the Can Am just before winter and have about 400 miles on it now but would like to change oil one time before winter and if possible not have to change weights. I guess I could change just the engine oil now and then just before winter, change all fluids. This is my first Can Am and as I stated a while back, I am a 71 year old fart who just keeps plugging along...so forgive what may appear to be some basic questions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Perfect

Thank you. The 4 stroke oil...second from left...has a reflection on the photo that blocks out the first number. It appears that it is "0-40". Is that what it reads? Does the oil filter that you are using come with gaskets? What about the drain plug ring and the other rings for rear and front end ?

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Yes, 0-40. Sorry about the picture. The K&N filter I just picked up was the filter only. I may be mistaken but I don’t ever remember replacing any o-rings or washers during routine maintenance.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think he's talking about the crush washers on the drain plugs. Mine is a 2014 and I just changed mine out for the first time. While recommended by can am I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 61 Posts