Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a while back guys were using rotella? What weight? Or should I just bite the bullet a get can am oil? $75 for a oil change seems like a rip off, it's just the principle of it. I change oil every 50 hours. What's in the factory oil that makes it work for a can am. I read the ad from atv.com or whatever it was waste of time. I think I can get 4 packs of filters and better oil. What do you all think?

Gordy Mitchell

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5W40 and have been happy with it. I have read several others on here use the same. I also this summer installed MrRpm's remote filter kit and am very happy so far. Oil changes should be affordable now.

Steve

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
And brand name full synthetic in 5/40 will exceed brp oil rating. Rotella pensoil Castrol mobile one. You can pick up a 512 k&n oil filter at your local advance auto.

There is nothing in the brp oil that is of specific need for the commander. Unlike the some Atv's where engine oil and transmission used same oil they had friction disc additives so the automatic clutches wouldn't skip.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've only got one oil change under my belt but I used Rotella T6 5/40 and a HiFlow filter. Think I got the filters off of eBay.

I don't know if it's any cleaner of a process on a 2 seater but on my MAX it was a filthy mess. Oil went everywhere. It got a good bath with degreaser and the harden hose afterwords in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My daughter and Son in Law's commander was due for an oil change. He is still under warranty so he wanted to stick with OEM oil (I know it doesn't matter but that's another story). Long story short for 3 qts. of oil and 2 bottles of diff. oil the total was over $105. I put the diff oil back and told him next year we would just use Rotella. But its not my money. It bothers me that that almost cost as much as a 15qt full synthetic oil change in my diesel pickup.

Steve

Reactions: JTROCKS and acefire

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5W40 and have been happy with it. I have read several others on here use the same. I also this summer installed MrRpm's remote filter kit and am very happy so far. Oil changes should be affordable now.
Mr 4x4ff Can you tell me more about the MrRpm remote filter kit.
Acefire gave you the link for it. Here is the link for the post about my install http://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/48913-remote-oil-filter-install.html

And I've attached some better pictures of it. So far I have been very pleased and it makes oil changes much less messy.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
MrRPM

Ok I swear my puter needs a cup of coffee 2 replies show after I post wth?

·
Registered
296 Posts
My Commander gets Rotella T6, from Walmart, same oil I use in my truck, and Hiflo oil filters. 3 for 20.00 shipped on ebay. My Commander oil changes are less than $20.00

·
Registered
100 Posts
K&N 152 ,tried for a 512 wrong number

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
I don’t know my Rotella, do you guys run the T6 5w40 year round? Or another weight in winter?
I know you are asking about the Rotella and I run the Amsoil, but I run the 0w40 year round. I’m certainly not a scientist but I can’t imagine a huge difference. You being in Colorado, chances are we ride similar conditions so I thought I would put my two cents in. Boog.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don’t know my Rotella, do you guys run the T6 5w40 year round? Or another weight in winter?
I don't run my commander much in the winter but yes I use it year round.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
T6 all year. T6 only comes in 5-40wt

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been knocked out of the site for the past few days. Wouldn't take my pswd and kept getting "Not Secure" messages on my phone and laptop. Beware, we may have a hacker out there again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts