Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone else looking for motivation... Bought a DIY fuse/relay block off Amazon for all of about $13, has spots for 6 relays and 6 fuses. Comes as a kit where it's an unassembled plastic box and bags of terminals. Found a set of Can Am wiring diagrams and had them printed large format, pretty handy when you want to tie into stuff. Ordered up a bunch of OEM-matching switches from OTRATTW (along with bags of extra terminals for making up the harness), and some PBR switch panels off eBay. Also some 4" LED lights and a 21" single row bar.

Wired up the fuse box and harness first. This took quick a while as I wanted to break into the factory harness for a few things, some relays control other ones, but all in all worked out nice as it's own standalone harness that wires to the battery via breaker and plugs into key on power in console area.

Drilled 1/2" or so hole at the cage base to run the roof circuits through, best I could come up with to get wires up there.

Mounted fuse box and circuit breaker under the dash. Totally out of the way but easy to access and generally away from water and muck.

Switches all mounted. Ordered OEM-matching ones from OTRATTW and they are awesome. They were able to make up a few custom ones for me in almost no time flat. Highly recommended! What I didn't really care for was the switch panel from PBR. The holes are a little large for the Contura switches to hold themselves to, even with the switch gaskets (which you need for this reason). If it was made out of a thicker material (.090 or better) they would have more to bite to, while the sheet metal is plenty rigid the switches can't grip it. I will probably replace with a 6 hole version preferably thicker plastic.
Also my fun project was to add in a kill switch for the lights. Maybe there's times you are out in the dark riding and find yourself wanting to go silent in a hurry. Now I don't know what one might be up to in this case, maybe you got lost on a trail and got stuck in a ditch near the highway and need a little time to "right" things, or stumble across a ranger at night and don't feel very social, or go out for a run in the city in the snow and take a wrong turn. Whatever it may be, an easy way to shut everything off at once can be handy, and it annoys me that to turn the commander "on" (without headlights) you have to flick the ignition past the light position which flashes them. So the "kill" switch does three things; cuts power to all the light bar relays, and interrupts both the headlight and brake light trigger wires at their switches. Basically kills all external lights leaving only dash switch backlights on.

Front bar mounted using some cage clamps. Welded longer tabs onto the brackets that came with the light to make it bolt up. The light has a pretty tight fit to keep it behind the bumper but not interfere with the bodywork behind it.

Rear facing lights attached with cage clamps in the upper corners. I wasn't sure if there was enough room and how it would work with the rear window, but somehow fit juts right. Initially was going to put these on a reverse trigger, but there's a lot of times these get used while stopped so on their own switch it is.

Dome lights through some factory holes in the cage. They are LED rock lights off Amazon. Used red because it's much easier on the eyes when you flick them on in the dark than the bright white one I first tried.

Mounted CB radio to the cage. With the speaker on the unit's bottom, it works much better to have it up top like this. You have to reach up and grab the mic but it's out of the way there, and can be easily used by both driver and passenger this way. Doesn't get used in motion as you could never hear it, but we use them all the time after one guy "makes the trail" or climbs the hill first to radio back.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Two thumbs up brother, nice work and excellent write up you may be able to sell a kit? just sayin. I also don't know why the hell shutting the commander down doesn't shut chit off!

Reactions: Bill_Rowe

·
Registered
125 Posts
Def a good job on that! I'm a little worried about corrosion on the wires at the terminals. Are there other connections under the dash similarly not water resistant? A little dielectric grease would help a ton. Heck, after being bitten a couple times with "waterproof" connectors on quads, I've since always used dielectric inside them for another layer of protection.

Sounds like some shady stuff going on in your neck of the woods, though! J/k. Dark can be a GOOD thing sometimes.

I'm sure the legal beagles required that headlights ON be the first on position. Liability lawsuits are ridiculous these days- so many people not willing to take responsibility for their own actions. As for the delayed off, I actually like it because it gives me time to get out of the shed before it goes dark. If I was always parking somewhere with power, no doubt my opinion would be different.

Reactions: Bill_Rowe
1 - 3 of 3 Posts