Can-Am Commander Forum banner

841 - 860 of 900 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just wondering if any of you guys know of a stock muffler for sale seems they have all disappeared haha I have a 2012 1000 xt commander I need it for hunting can't sneak up on the critters haha thanks guys
I just was cleaning out my shed and found mine in the box my 2 brother's muffler came in, along with the heat shield cover. you pay shipping and it's yours man.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My issues were from slippage and glazing but partly my fault from not using low gear when needed so now I am in my Commander and looking to preserve the belt as best I can. Lots of Snake oil out there and hype. Going to move slower and research a bit more first. How can I get more info/ pricing if interested ? Thanks for the reply.

check this out they have the pricing and some good reviews on the clutch mod. I am saving my pennys now for this mod. alot cheaper than other clutches ou there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If your going for the lock up mod talk to Troy, I would not give the time of day to uatv.tech. Don't trust Ed, Troy is an upstanding person. I was going to buy a clutch from Ed, when I received the clutch it was packaged very poorly and damaged. I didn't want a clutch that had been damaged and wanted to send it back to him which I did. He offered to fix it but I didn't pay for a fixed clutch. I just wanted most of my money back. I paid 1000 USD and all I got back from Ed was 550. I think that is a rip off. He is supposed to know what he is doing and I have never seen anything packed so poorly. 1/4 inch foam and some newspaper in a cardboard box to protect a clutch is just plain stupid. He told me it was insured but I could not get anything from the insurance. I had it shipped to pack and ship they guy there saw it all he could say was, not good, should have had at least 3 inches of foam to ship something like that. Ed has friends on here, so I will be blasted for this post I'm sure. Just know what your getting yourself into with him.
I'm not sure I understand this. You paid for the insurance and you only got 550 ? Was that the max amount 550 on the insurance ? I'm going to send mine in shortly and want to minimize any problems. Ed I will package it w foam, and you return it in the same box and packaging, correct ? I have been waiting for feedback for a year now and with this above negative the only issue I still will be moving forward with confidence. I bought your secondary belt removal kit a year ago. It looks like I will need a Primary bolt for removal. I would like the bearing upgrade as well. This looks like a no brainer while your in there. I'm going to message you my email so I can have the directions during de-installation. I looked at the videos and looks like a job I can tackle. Thanks for doing all the R&D for this upgrade, and for everyone out there who takes the time to answer questions. Now one mor thing, how do you ask a question on this site.?? Or start a new topic. Can't figure it out - Im better at fighting fires than website stuff .
Thanks JY

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this. You paid for the insurance and you only got 550 ? Was that the max amount 550 on the insurance ? I'm going to send mine in shortly and want to minimize any problems. Ed I will package it w foam, and you return it in the same box and packaging, correct ? I have been waiting for feedback for a year now and with this above negative the only issue I still will be moving forward with confidence. I bought your secondary belt removal kit a year ago. It looks like I will need a Primary bolt for removal. I would like the bearing upgrade as well. This looks like a no brainer while your in there. I'm going to message you my email so I can have the directions during de-installation. I looked at the videos and looks like a job I can tackle. Thanks for doing all the R&D for this upgrade, and for everyone out there who takes the time to answer questions. Now one mor thing, how do you ask a question on this site.?? Or start a new topic. Can't figure it out - Im better at fighting fires than website stuff .
Thanks JY[/QUOTE]

Click on forum. pick the topic that best describes your question wether it be performance 1000, 800, suspention what ever click on that.At the top click the new thread tab and ask away. You will get your answer.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #846
There are lots of guys out there that don't need the clutch mod , but there are some that need it very bad .
I had a mander in the shop a couple days ago and his was slipping so bad it looked like he took a grinder to one side of the belt . The other side looked new .
Mod needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I see what your saying, that's what my belt looked like. One side, ( motor side ) really worn out. What surprised me was that most of the ridges outside of the belt were gone. They weren't laying in the bottom of the cover, just plain gone. Crazy,

Anyway my clutch is on its way Calif. for the lock-up mod. Now if I can figure out how to get the header pipe off to DEI heat wrap it I will be ready to go next week

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I see what your saying, that's what my belt looked like. One side, ( motor side ) really worn out. What surprised me was that most of the ridges outside of the belt were gone. They weren't laying in the bottom of the cover, just plain gone. Crazy,

Anyway my clutch is on its way Calif. for the lock-up mod. Now if I can figure out how to get the header pipe off to DEI heat wrap it I will be ready to go next week
Should be easy if you just remove the springs on the rear Bell connections and un bolt the cylinder connections.
If yours is newer than 14 it will have a front bung with O02 Sensor watch the wire.
if older check the weld carefully where the OEM pipe over pipe connection is, any signs of cracking get it re welded.
Use 2" tape and overlap 1" that will give you a double layer.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just got mine wrapped and reinstalled. It is pretty easy. My hardest part was dealing with those danged springs. 3 joints with 4 springs each. P.I.T.A. just because of the angle you gotta pull the springs from. I bought a HF Spring puller but a small screwdriver sometimes worked easier depending on the angle you had to work on. Mine had the O2 sensors, just unclip them from the wiring harness. Had to cut and replace 2 wire ties to get them unplugged. I used the DEI Titanium wrap for mine. Hoping my clutch will be back from Bollax tomorrow.

Steve

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Firedog190,

If you use a 13mm ratcheting wrench on the exhauset nuts where it hooks to the cylinder it will come off pretty easy. (2 bolts per pipe) I soaked them for a few seconds with my super duper penetrating oil mix (1/2 Acetone + 1/2 Tranny Fluid). To me a ratchet wrench was much easier to use there that a regular socket & ratchet.

Steve

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Firedog190,

If you use a 13mm ratcheting wrench on the exhauset nuts where it hooks to the cylinder it will come off pretty easy. (2 bolts per pipe) I soaked them for a few seconds with my super duper penetrating oil mix (1/2 Acetone + 1/2 Tranny Fluid). To me a ratchet wrench was much easier to use there that a regular socket & ratchet.

Steve
That Super Duper Nut Buster is great stuff, only thing that kept my crippled bird in the air in Nam.
However it was not the Loudest boom in the box, but it can make a good Ka-Boom, so please use away from any heat source.
Seal up extra in a Mason Jar and store cold.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm fixin to get the mod. Looks like it has been around for a year or so. Any reviews over time. How are the early adopters doing???

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Can't speak over time. I installed my mod a couple of weeks ago and also got the new one way bearings from Bollax as well as the low rpm engagement spring. Only been able to take it our for about 30 minutes so far but I was very impressed with what I saw and felt. In all fairness though I bought the mander used and the belt was toast when I got it. I think as far as everything I have read its kinda a 'best bang for the buck' mod.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clutch Mod

Troy, I am too new to the forum to send a PM, so here goes.

I have a 2014 Commander 800 xt. I have just under 600 miles on it and was irritated by the hopping at low rpm and noticed that the snappiness was reduced from the throttle. I replaced the belt tonight and noticed that the belt was glazed and had slight flat spots in two places. Exactly what I expected to see. what I didn't expect to see on the primary clutch was an area on the side away from the engine and closest to the one way bearing, that had a uneven surface. It was not a smooth machined taper like I pictured. The side closest to the engine was smooth and evenly tapered. Have you seen this in the stock clutch? Is this part of your lock up mod?

I have been following the feedback about your mod for the past year. All seems good. I am interested in sending mine to you, but I have a scheduled trip to Hatfield & McCoy in a couple weeks. Will get in touch after.

I installed a Gate G Force C12 belt. Was that a good choice?

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
People like the c-12 , I have been running the 212 mav belt on both my sxs and my quad ( outlander )
Before putting the new belt on , I always sand down the faces of my clutch, then finish it off using scotch Brite . Then I lightly sand the sides of the belt . The uneven spot on the face of the clutch is from driving very slow in high gear , when going slow try to use low gear a bit more .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
people like the c-12 , i have been running the 212 mav belt on both my sxs and my quad ( outlander )
before putting the new belt on , i always sand down the faces of my clutch, then finish it off using scotch brite . Then i lightly sand the sides of the belt . The uneven spot on the face of the clutch is from driving very slow in high gear , when going slow try to use low gear a bit more .

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
x-2 x2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uneven Clutch

Rookie mistake when I first starting riding. First two times out was running in high at slow speeds. Now I run in low most always when trail riding, after smelling the belt on a mid hill start. Lots of technical trails in south east Ohio. The clutch faces were clean, no debris. Do you scotch brite the sheen off or only if there is belt debris?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The main thing is to not baby the throttle starting out And never start out in high on any kind of hill or incline I ride all wv mountains and only use low 5 % of the time and only broke one belt in. 8500 miles I can run in high and climb hills at low speeds easy just make sure you keep the belt engaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
When ever you have cvt cover off, lightly sand both clutches with 600 grit sandpaper in a center to out side edge pattern (not around but 12:00 to 6:00)
Then follow with med (Green) scotchbrite for a good clean surface, also wipe down new belt edges with alcohol and lightly sand those as well.
Then drive it like you stole it and always use low when going slow.

841 - 860 of 900 Posts