Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out for our annual spring run and we all are stopped by the O.P.P. to check for the certain things such as alcohol which nobody has,but the best part of this stop was to enlighten the sxs and 2-up ride owners that you are illegal to be here and cross a road....
It was at a road crossing and all bikes and cars were checked for insurance, license,etc,which i fully understand and the best one " IF THERE WERE TWO FINGERS BETWEEN YOUR CHIN STRAP" !!!!!!!!!!!!! That's right ,there were 39 fines given out for chin strap and other violations for sxs and 2-ups crossing the road !!!!
So fella's have an eye for the law when you are crossing the road !
This held us up for more than 2 hour's...(68) rides.
This is crap !
Such a nice province with such ridiculous laws !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of such a thing! Who is the O.P.P.? I've been stopped a couple times by the DNR for checking registration but never been hassled like that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of such a thing! Who is the O.P.P.? I've been stopped a couple times by the DNR for checking registration but never been hassled like that!
O.P.P. stands for Ontario Provincial Police. And they're quite a bunch!

I've been held up by them for hours too just because I was on an ATV. I had insurance, drivers license, proper safety gear and still they tried to ruin my day. They even checked my chin strap too. Lol

I don't understand, I can go anywhere I want around here on my sled (gas station, coffee shop, dealership, buddy's house, where ever) but jump on a quad with the same insurance coverage as the sled and go the same plces that I go on my sled and end up in trouble with the cops..... makes no sense.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.P.P. stands for Ontario Provincial Police. And they're quite a bunch!

I've been held up by them for hours too just because I was on an ATV. I had insurance, drivers license, proper safety gear and still they tried to ruin my day. They even checked my chin strap too. Lol

I don't understand, I can go anywhere I want around here on my sled (gas station, coffee shop, dealership, buddy's house, where ever) but jump on a quad with the same insurance coverage as the sled and go the same plces that I go on my sled and end up in trouble with the cops..... makes no sense.
I hear you bro...just don't get it.....seen some pics of your river rising in town,you might need your boat to get around .......lol

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What a shame. Last month we had a park ranger tell us they were going to work on the trails here and there. The ranger did not ticket anyone for not wearing helmets and thankd god did not test anyone for alcohol. Point being the ranger was friendly. Thats a real shame the police pick on ATV's but not snowmobiles. Seems a bit strange they would target one group but not the other.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Here in PA we make the argument if you give us fits over driving on the side roads it better be unforced during the winter months with the sleds. They usually don't bother us unless someone is causing problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here in SK when we see police, we just flick the 4x4 switch and don't stop.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I am no lawyer but that seems to border on harassment or even cross the line. And they went beyond reasonable. I can't wear mine for two fingers of mine. What is the gauge for that as all fingers are different sizes. Also they have to have cause for a search which is what it sounds like they did not have? Snowmobiles can cross a road why can't you?

If I was your bunch I would go to your federation with this get a lawyer for the group and make it a example case to effect change. We put so much money in to this industry and we get nothing but harassment back and often for no justifiable reason.

If you go the fight route keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am no lawyer but that seems to border on harassment or even cross the line. And they went beyond reasonable. I can't wear mine for two fingers of mine. What is the gauge for that as all fingers are different sizes. Also they have to have cause for a search which is what it sounds like they did not have? Snowmobiles can cross a road why can't you?

If I was your bunch I would go to your federation with this get a lawyer for the group and make it a example case to effect change. We put so much money in to this industry and we get nothing but harassment back and often for no justifiable reason.

If you go the fight route keep us posted and good luck.
You make very good points and there is not 1 person that will be paying their fine. My sister and husband are lawyers and they will be providing anything I want.I have a friend
I will be talking to on tuesday who is a senior officer with the same and see what he says.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This law is seriously outdated!!

Interesting that in the first paragraph it states "designed to carry a driver only and no passenger"..
I did not read thought the whole thing but those laws are from 2003!
I am not sure they even had a side by side in 2003 unless maybe the Rhino was out that early?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here is what I found and the 2 finger rule does not exist!
From the Highway Traffic Act

Motorcycle and bicycle helmets
Motorcyclists to wear helmet
104. (1) No person shall ride on or operate a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle on a highway unless the person is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (1).
Idem
(2) No person shall carry a passenger who is under sixteen years of age on a motorcycle on a highway unless the passenger is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (2).
Link Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

From Ontario Ministry of Transport

Driver's Licence and Registration Requirements

• Riders must wear a motorcycle helmet, have either a valid G2/G driver's licence or an M2/M motorcycle licence, registration and insurance.
  • ORVs must be registered and have a valid permit except in exempt areas (e.g., far Northern Ontario).
  • Previous exemptions for farmers, trappers and public utility workers remain in place.
  • More information is available in the Driver's Handbook Online.
Link Changes to Ontario's Off-Road Vehicles Legislation/Regulations
If I get stop and they charge me with this I will go to court!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is what I found and the 2 finger rule does not exist!
From the Highway Traffic Act

Motorcycle and bicycle helmets
Motorcyclists to wear helmet
104. (1) No person shall ride on or operate a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle on a highway unless the person is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (1).
Idem
(2) No person shall carry a passenger who is under sixteen years of age on a motorcycle on a highway unless the passenger is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (2).
Link Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

From Ontario Ministry of Transport

Driver's Licence and Registration Requirements

• Riders must wear a motorcycle helmet, have either a valid G2/G driver's licence or an M2/M motorcycle licence, registration and insurance.
  • ORVs must be registered and have a valid permit except in exempt areas (e.g., far Northern Ontario).
  • Previous exemptions for farmers, trappers and public utility workers remain in place.
  • More information is available in the Driver's Handbook Online.
Link Changes to Ontario's Off-Road Vehicles Legislation/Regulations
If I get stop and they charge me with this I will go to court!!
I don't see the definition of "securely fastened under the chin". Where do we get the two fingers from. Why not one or four?

I have been stopped on the trail by OPP for insurance and registration check but not for the two finger test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts