Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all who read this. My commander XT 1000 will not power on.

1.) When the key is in the ignition there is nothing on the display...dead.
2.) I changed the battery and still the same thing.
3.) It WILL start if I add jumper cables to the terminals...but as soon as I disconnect the jumper it dies.

What the heck could this be? A relay, a fuse, something else, all of the above????? Uuuuugh! :icon_ nono2:

Please, anyone know what I can do to reconcile this?

·
Registered
545 Posts
engine

if it was a relay it would not run off the jumpers,when you use jumper you are just supplying power a different way

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Voltage regulator is probably shorted out. Not charging. Question is why will run on cable. Have you check the voltage on the new battery. Just from reading your post looks like you have a dead new battery and the voltage regulator is ether bad and not charging or the stator has stopped putting voltage to the regulator. Check battery and regulator first then stator.

·
Registered
545 Posts
battery

take the battery to a auto store and have a load test run,you may have got a bad battery from store ( bad cell)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved! - Thanks ACEFIRE

Oh boy, I am kicking myself here (trust me). The new battery was dead.

I put it on a slow trickle charge over night and BAM....my Commander started right up. Thank you ACEFIRE!

Sometimes the obvious doesn't dawn on me (maybe others too) until someone points it out. I guess I would expect a battery to be in good working condition when I buy it new :mad: ...but that's what I get for making such a foolish assumption.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Very few batteries are sold with full charge. Most of them have enough to run or start. But once a battery gets below 8 volt it won't excite most modern ecms. Glad you got it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ACEFIRE and f150 for responding. I truly appreciate the quick responses! Both of you mentioned the battery could be 'dead on arrival' and that is exactly what the issue was.

After I put the new battery on a trickle charge over night the battery was good to go....all is good now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post but I need to try. My is doing the same thing, had battery load tested, its good. I get nothing but the main relay clicks slowly. I'm hoping for just the relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts