Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys I am a newbie to the forums. I wish I was coming here for other reasons but I have had a major breakdown on my commander. I have a 2013 1000 commander x. while out in it this weekend the rear driveshaft front universal decide to explode and knock a hole in my gearbox. so I have been weighing my options as to what I am going to do. I have found a used commander x transmission that has more miles on it than mine. ive also thought of replacing the box. just looking for some pointers as to I have read a lot on here on removing the gear box and it doesn't look easy. I appreciate your time and nice to talk to guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear from you in this case, however; there are lots of good people and knowledge here. Good luck. Booger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
When I replaced my gearbox, the most affordable place I found for a factory box was canampartsguy.com. They have both the standard ratio boxes and the low ratio boxes (28% lower low gear And 14% lower high gear ratio) for $1950. Don't waste your time with an aftermarket box. It is a lot of work to replace it and you don't want to do it twice like I had to do, not to mention the waste of money.

This post has the basic info/procedure and some links: https://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-1000/59450-procedure-removing-gear-box-2011-commander.html#post835978

You have a great resource nearby you in Acefire.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
wow I have never seen that before..... Doesnt mrrpm sell gearboxes or is that for quads only?

·
Super Moderator
23,013 Posts
The mrrpm boxes are junk !! Just ask Slowindown. And yes you have but yours pulled the output shat completely out of the box.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
wow I have never seen that before..... Doesnt mrrpm sell gearboxes or is that for quads only?

The mrrpm box was a $1000.00 boat anchor. The countershaft seal and rear output shaft seal leaked immediately. The countershaft was about 40 thousandths off from the stock one, which caused the belt to be at a slight angle, which caused the belt to always spin, even at idle as the secondary pushed the belt into the inner sheave of the primary. The distance ring on the countershaft was glued in something like green loctite (impossible to remove without disassembly). Worse yet were the internals - if you pushed the machine hard, it would internally disengage - about the third time I pegged the throttle, it totally let go - sounded like shaking marbles in a mason jar). Piece of crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it hasn't damaged the gears you could do a hillbilly fix with plastic metal putty until you find anothergood box.
Bush-mechanic at heart I guess. we don't have a good supply of parts in Aussiland.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lol really hillbilly repair? I don’t know if that was a complement or a insult.
I guess it’s the language barrier should I of said Redneck fix??
Down hear we say farmyard or bush fix.
Bang it back together with some fencing wire, “she’ll be right off you go”

Not the best repair procedure but it can keep you going until you can do a proper job.

·
Super Moderator
23,013 Posts
Lol redneck engineering. Again insult or complement. The op and me are in WV nothing but rednecks and hillbillies here. But it’s all good we do like to have fun .

·
Registered
3,938 Posts

The mrrpm box was a $1000.00 boat anchor. The countershaft seal and rear output shaft seal leaked immediately. The countershaft was about 40 thousandths off from the stock one, which caused the belt to be at a slight angle, which caused the belt to always spin, even at idle as the secondary pushed the belt into the inner sheave of the primary. The distance ring on the countershaft was glued in something like green loctite (impossible to remove without disassembly). Worse yet were the internals - if you pushed the machine hard, it would internally disengage - about the third time I pegged the throttle, it totally let go - sounded like shaking marbles in a mason jar). Piece of crap.
thats crazy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts