Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going tomorrow to pick up my new to me 1000XT, Its a 2011 model with 1600 miles. Got it for a pretty good deal although the seller says it has slack in the tie rod ends, (helm joints) and it has an aftermarket power steering. What potential problem spots should I be looking for when I get there? The sale is dependent on the machine being in good condition other than the steering. Pictures of the Commander looks as though it has been taken very good care of, but I also know its an older machine. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
25,384 Posts
Aarm bushings and tie rods up front. And rear diff if not to noise still has life left. But the 11/13 rear diffs are ticking time bombs. New updated diff when time comes is around 700$. Get a mav belt #364 and have it for a spare .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aarm bushings and tie rods up front. And rear diff if not to noise still has life left. But the 11/13 rear diffs are ticking time bombs. New updated diff when time comes is around 700$. Get a mav belt #364 and have it for a spare .

Thanks for the reply, what usually fails on the differential? And where is the best place to get the front end components?

·
Super Moderator
25,384 Posts
Turn key tie rods when you need them . Aarm bushings from super Daves bushing or garage products . Rackzilla when it’s time for a rack and pinion . As for the diff they are hit and miss . The 11/13 diff are straight cut gears and if not shimmed properly from factory are extremely noise and over time will exploded. Seen some only make it couple hundred miles mine has 4600 no issues yet but not to say it won’t blow next time out .

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I have Turnkey tie rods and super Dave’s a-arm bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

Thanks for the reply, what usually fails on the differential? And where is the best place to get the front end components?

superdaves has good a-arm bushings and a bushing for the steering rack.

I have 2200 miles on my 11. The diff is still good. But it has always been loud, especially over 25mph. WS2 in the rear diff quietened it down some.

Can am didn't add power steering until 2013. Frankly, the aftermarket ps is probably better than the factory. I have superatv brand.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Slowindown, I’m currently awaiting Acefires return to Henderson ‘Rado to diagnose Stingers steering issue. Are you saying if it is the DPS unit I should look at the aftermarket? Is this even an option for a rig that came with power steering from the factory? Thanks, Boog.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Boog, there is at least one thread on here where someone’s factory ps died and they added aftermarket. IIRC the superatv instructions show how to install on units with and without factory power steering. I certainly wouldn’t replace factory power steering with aftermarket unless the factory was broken and would be substantially expensive to fix.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Thanks man. If it comes to that I’ll start reading those threads. I appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I picked up the Commander yesterday and seems to be in great shape other than the sloppy steering. Tie rods are shot and seems to be play in the rack. Would I be better off to order a new rack or try a bushing from super Dave?

·
Super Moderator
25,384 Posts
The bushing is a cheap fix for the factory rack. Good set of rods aren’t cheap. And the rods that come with the new racks are any better then factory rods other than they don’t bend.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Boog, there is at least one thread on here where someone’s factory ps died and they added aftermarket. IIRC the superatv instructions show how to install on units with and without factory power steering. I certainly wouldn’t replace factory power steering with aftermarket unless the factory was broken and would be substantially expensive to fix.
That’s was me. On my ‘14 XT I replaced the DPS with aftermarket. The DPS and non-DPS racks are different and nobody has a power steering kit that mates up to a DPS rack. At least on a 2014, I haven’t kept track of the steering changes over the years as BRP doesn’t even know.

·
Super Moderator
25,384 Posts
11/14 all have same pinion shaft. 11/13 have 14mm inner rods 14 has 16mm rods . 15 rack changed. I know the non dps rack is the same as the dps rack. I have a 11/12 non dps in my 13 with dps. But I have been hearing for yrs that they are different and won’t work. Lol

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Just to add to the confusion Ace, my ‘13 had 16mm tie rods. Lol. Do you remember that we found that out when I got my HD tie rods?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Yeah rack fit fine. Thankfully I still had the ‘13 clevis’ on the Stinger parts shelf. LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My progress so far, new ball joints, new tie rods ends and front wheel bearings. Still have play in the rack, got a bushing from super Dave but I'm not sure that will fix it. Rackzilla in my near future! Steering is s a little funky but tolerable. Took it in the mountains yesterday afternoon and it did great, I did notice I have a little gear oil seepage from the rear differential. This thing sure does have a lot of drivetrain noise though, I brought it home and jack the rear wheels up and nothing sounded out of the ordinary, guess is just the nature of the beast. Going to Windrock this coming weekend, hoping she holds together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
rackzilla rack, new bushings everywhere, new utv tie rods, ez steer powersteering, new ball joints. 2011 X good as new in that department. Welcome to upgrades.!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
superdaves has good a-arm bushings and a bushing for the steering rack.

I have 2200 miles on my 11. The diff is still good. But it has always been loud, especially over 25mph. WS2 in the rear diff quietened it down some.

Can am didn't add power steering until 2013. Frankly, the aftermarket ps is probably better than the factory. I have superatv brand.
Who makes a good WS2 product and where can I get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts