Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
26,674 Posts
Speed buggy and yes I remember that cartoon.

==================

Learn from my mistakes it's cheaper on your wallet!!!

When in doubt gas it you got to make it or break it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
HEY I will have you know that is MEXICAN CRAP at least I think that is where they are built. If they were made in Canada or the USA I would like think they would be closer to being all the same. Not made before nap time and after. No offence to my friends down south but when every one of them seems to be different quality control needs a kick in the ass.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I like speed buggy. I liked how he always stuttered around when he was talking! Wasn't there a band called Jose and the pussy cats in that cartoon?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This one is cool too! Just isn't available and probably wouldn't be a good rock crawler or mud machine...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I looked at one a few weeks ago on the show room floor. Lots of easy access for servicing and fixing. Everything was out in the open with no panels to remove to get at important stuff. I felt uncomfortable sitting in the machine because there was no place for my left foot and it was more like getting into, and out of, a go-cart. I didn't like the lack of vision directly in front due to sitting so low in the machine. And, the width is a deal killer. The stock Commander is 60" wide. Mine is 63 with wheel spacers and is just right for our trails. Seventy-two inches is just too darn wide for trail riding and rock crawling. Now, for the dunes, this machine could be great. Top speed if I remember correctly is around 95 MPH

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Whoa big fella.
Guess where our BRP Commanders are assembled, welded etc. etc.
You ever look at the build stickers ?
Last check it was MEXICO Duh!
In case you are wondering the Rotax stuff, all of it is made in Austria, not Canada.
Nother DUH ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Finished the research on the Renli 1500cc and here is the pro's and con's as I see them.

Pro's:
5 speed tranny
1500cc
Front and rear locking diff's
Low center of gravity (width, length)
Approach angle front and rear
Large number of part available at autozon, checker etc.
4pt harnesses stock
12" ground clearance
Elka stage 4 shocks
Can increase tire size without alot of clearance mods
65A alternator
Engine and drive train easily accessible
12 month warranty
Local dealer and importer

Con's:
Major component availability
Unconfirmed quality
front wheel travel
aftermarket accessories
Width - in some riding areas (not Arizona)
Does not come with beadlock wheels

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have one and had Bollax do a clutch mod on it. Wow!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Friend of mine had one for a short time. It was the 1100. It would run, but always breaking. He is much happier now with his Teryx. Yes, a Teryx.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
CamoCommander... What is the mod Bollax did to the clutch?

Cannedham..... This is good information. Do you know what year it was or what was failing?

I met a guy last week that had a 2010 and he said it was piece of crap, but the dealer made all the repairs for free and supported him beyond the warranty period. After 5000 miles he traded it in on a 2014 1500cc. I sat in his new one and the odometer has 2124 miles, he said he hasn't had any issues with it other than some hardware came loose.

·
Administrator
26,674 Posts
The one I ran with. Was a 13 model and steering rack broke several times and front Aarms were breaking. But he was pushing it. But not near as hard as I was the commander.

==================

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Acefire... you said the steering rack broke several times, was it pulling out of the assembly as though the stops failed? As for the A-Arms breaking, where and how (welds cracking, tubing cracking)?

I've replace my share of parts on the commander x. With 4 miles on it the steering shaft broke and I was holding the wheel (unattached) at 30mph, on asphalt and still at the dealer. The dealer put a new shaft in after I had to fight with Can Am. They said it was something caused by the dealer. I inspected the new steering shaft when I got it home and it was a poor weld joint . I re-flowed the weld.

So I won't base anything on a single instance, I'm looking at systemic or long term issues. I doubt there is any OHV that is perfect and they all have some type of issues.

It's my understanding that the company that's importing the Renli is making changes to failed parts to increase the quality. This is my biggest complaint regarding the Can Am, they don't fix anything (rear diff, crisco lock, gearbox) and they push back on every warranty.

I'm just gathering as much information as I can in order to make the best decision. At this time I haven't gathered enough negative information to say the Renli is out of the running. However I do have enough information to say that the Renli will probably out perform most SXS's.

Please keep the information coming, I'm making a list and plan to approach the dealer and importer in March.

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
26,674 Posts
Tubes breaking and last one the mount pulled welds loose on upper frame mount. Steering shaft was bending then breaking the housing tube.

I would say best way to get accurate info would be on a Renli forum. Same as here if there is a problem it's posted.

==================

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm actually on several forums including a sxs forum with a few Renli's. I haven't found a Renli only forum.

I actually believe you get better information when you look in multiple places including competitors. The biggest problem with any venue is that most people won't admit that their purchased product is a POS and on the other end of the spectrum people just bash a product that is different than theirs.

The best information I've received so far is from this forum, the maverick forum and the UTV SXS forum. The popo place was really bad.

I know there must be others who have ridden with or around the Renli, I hope they chime in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
See this is a old thread but I have a 2012 commander limited 1000 4x4.. but i rarely use it since I’ve got my 2013 renli 1100.. They are so easy to mod and work on because you can use whatever parts you want to build, fix, improve it.. first thing I did was cut out the stock foot pedals and set up a better set up about 10” forward and a few inches wider.. I’m 6’7” so it was almost a mandatory mod to be able to actually rip it.. after market intake and have pretty well removed all the garbage plastics that came on it and fit some can am
Head lights and plastics on it and I’ve been nothing but impressed with it.. oh I also rebuilt rear diff with some good bearings and seals and threw some 15” rims with some wrangler mt tires and it’s been great.. suspension needs to be swapped with something better and thinking about some different a arms also.. I don’t abuse it in deep mud pits and water regularly.. but haven’t came across much that has ever stopped me or barried me.. I’m very much wanting to try the 1500cc with the Elkas.. still would have to mod it to fit me comfortably and mod/fix the weak points of the Chinese engineering to get it up to my standards.. but I’ve redlined my 1100 5spd pretty well everytime I drive it.. through all the gears and she hasn’t really ever left me stranded or broke from repairs.. 👍👍

21 - 36 of 36 Posts