Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or have any experience with the Renli SXS? I was out today and saw one but couldn't get his attention or get close enough to check it out. All I could see was a logo that said Renli 1100.

I've done some internet searching but am more curious if anyone had ever had or drove one. Selectable front and rear diff lock and 800cc, 1100cc and 1500cc options are interesting.

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
Yes I pushed a 1500 for two full laps. They are a good looking machine. But they are 4 cylinder standard shift. They run good. But there suspension and steering are worse than a commander. Full blown Chinese automotive engineering. But from what I have seen the look was the only thing that impressed me.

==================

Learn from my mistakes it's cheaper on your wallet!!!

When in doubt gas it you got to make it or break it.

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
We did nickname it the ky jelly car. Cause it looks like it would glide through the woods.

==================

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
It has a 4cyl. 68hp. Chery engine from China. Probably the same motor John Deere is using. It has a 5 speed manual trans with 4 wheel drive and a locking rear diff. Just read it on line. Interesting looking machine.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
they say they run good for a long time, but dont think the performance is to high

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
The one I seen the dude ended up replacing the steering rack and aarms and used xp 900 shocks just so I could pass him. It was a tie from the hole shot and I gave in at the chock point only to eat dust for two laps then finally got around him never to see him again. The down fall I think was the 5 speed transmission. To much shifting do to the 68 HP.

==================

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
i thought the 1500 renli's had about 110 hp?

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
I hope not it didn't dig like a 110 HP.

==================

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
There are a few of them riding with us. They are fun on paved roads and some light offroad, but when the roads get a little more bumpy or more difficult like muddy etc, I'm outrunning them easily with my Commander...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great information, thanks everyone. The guy I saw yesterday was on a road parallel to the one I was on. His was rocky and mine was graded. He pulled on me by a long shot and in 300yds he was 200ft ahead of me when the two roads met. Once the two roads met he was gone and I never saw him again. The few times I looked at the spedo, I was doing 65mph and working hard to keep in on all fours.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Great information, thanks everyone. The guy I saw yesterday was on a road parallel to the one I was on. His was rocky and mine was graded. He pulled on me by a long shot and in 300yds he was 200ft ahead of me when the two roads met. Once the two roads met he was gone and I never saw him again. The few times I looked at the spedo, I was doing 65mph and working hard to keep in on all fours.
they do have some speed, i think they will do mid to low 90's if it was a 1500, however once they hit the trails then see

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and looked at some new Renli's. They are very very nice. I don't see how it would be possible to take a Commander anyplace these thing won't go. Selectable 4 wheel drive, independently lockable front and rear diff's, 12" ground clearance, 72" width, 96" wheel base and about 12" of wheel travel. Low center of gravity, plenty of power and a 5 speed tranny. I haven't been able to confirm if there is a high and low range.

Trying to see if I can rent one and judge the performance with my Commander X.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
72" width won't go many places around here and turning it around would be impossible. A Jeep Wrangler is 6" narrower and 3" shorter wheelbase.

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
But they look cool ?

==================

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, I have a VW sand rail, the ranli isn't anything like it. Considering that 95% of the time nobody is running at full speed. But for it to be that close to a Can Am, one has to admit that there is potential.

I guess I just get tired of spending money on an off road entertainment vehicle only to find that the MFG could have done better. I for one don't need a CVT, I was raised using a clutch either by hand or foot. A non locking diff is just plain stupid on a machine build to be off road. Popo's... had'em, to much working on it.

What I like about this chinese POS, it that they had the ingenuity to build a product that has selectable, lockable front and rear diffs, parts can be obtained at the local Autozone or Checker auto parts and it actually allows a decent driver to choose what gear to be in and at what time.

When comparing any machine, allot depends on the driver. Did he shift at the correct time or fast enough, did the popo have better tires for the terrain, was the commander tire pressure higher or lower? All the comparisons can have a different outcome.

Yes, the Renli is wider, but how many commanders are now running spacers or long travel suspensions? Any why?

I love my Commander X. I would just like to have another toy and this one seems to be a decent option over the Canadian crap (no offense to the brothers in the North).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts