Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks;

We pick up our new Commander 1000 Limited on Saturday, I have ridden ATV's for 30 years, and been reading the posts on the forum. This is our first sxs and with our other bikes, most recently the 750 Kawa Brute Force and 650 Kawasaki prairie, we only would use low gear when going through mud, streams, down steep inclines or getting out of snow when stuck. It seems from a variety of posts the the use of low in the Commander is far more frequent to save the belt and clutch. Also can low be engaged on the fly, or low to high on the fly, we always stop before changing gears in the ATV's.
Driving tips are always appreciated....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum I also have a limited I only use low range when plowing or when it's a real steep hill other than that I'm normally in high gear if you want to go slower low gear has a 40mph limit which will give you much more control at lower speeds but you do have to stop whenever you want to change from High to low or from low to high you need to come to a complete stop .

·
Registered
150 Posts
I trail and mudride on my commander and very seldom use low range. only on steep banks that are technical. If you dont try to crawl slowly up hills or over obstacles you won't have belt trouble. It's just like a wheeler. You can tell when you're lugging and putting it in a bind.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Use low when ever you are traveling under 25 mph, wether trail riding or whatever your doing it will save your belt. If trail opens up or you want to go faster then put into high. It will do most all you want in high but no one likes that burning rubber smell

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You should use low whenever you are doing anything under 25-30 unless you have upgraded your clutch. Low is used a lot more on a sxs than a wheeler because of the weight. I hardly ever use low on my outlander, but I generally stay in low on the commander. I ride tight trails and deep mud holes though. The can-am clutch was designed to slip under load saving your shaft and axles. It is way cheaper and easier to replace a belt than a prop shaft or axle. There are many threads on the belt and clutch with far more information you should read up on. If anything, just get out there and drive the thing. You will eventually get used to when you need to use low... or blow a belt trying.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdavid1, this is the type of post I had been reading that appears to be a different way of riding the ATV's, I suspect you stop the rig at all times before shifting into high?
I would generally wait to upgrade the clutch only after the stock one has gone out, I just replaced the clutch in the 650 Prairie but that was after 9 years of riding, rather than upgrade right away, unless there is a reason to upgrade earlier to save another part that is more expensive.
Trail and error works fine as long as you can afford the error.... I appreciate the response. I have been evaluating the type of upgrades I would start with and which ones to wait for. Power steering seems to be top of the list for a quick upgrade and also the "black box". Our style of riding includes steep inclines, soft shale, and washouts and rocks.
Again, thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dang, guess I got a mighty fine belt. Only smelled burnin rubber once, and happened to be in low that time, Not blamin low, was trying to EASE up a 3 foot, straight up, bank between 2 trees that were 58 3/4 inches apart. Seriously tho I haven't had any problems in high range in mud or on most banks as long as you've got room to gas and go..Most people may not like gassin and goin as much as me tho ha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts