Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 Commander 1000 XT with the only accessory being the sport roof from Can-Am. Loving the machine so far and trying to plan out what accessories I want to add. I've already purchased a winch remote and have looked into side and rear view mirrors but I'm a bit hung up on researching windshields.

I really like the functionality of the Super ATV flip up windshield but it is not compatible with the Can-Am sport roof for the Commander. I emailed their support just to verify and it sounds like the windshield in the open position hits the roof overhang. Bit of a bummer as I don't plan on replacing the roof that is on the machine but I'd like that totally open option the Super ATV windshield offers.

I'm wondering, does anyone here have the Can-Am sport roof and a Super ATV flip up windshield despite them not being truly "compatible"? Your thoughts on the setup?

And as far as some sort of flip open windshield, what is the next best alternative people use, the Kolpin one?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
We've been running the half windshield, the UTV Inc. roof, and the rear mesh. Keeps the air pretty clear in the cab as it creates a bit of a air bubble.

Also gotta recommend the pool noodle trick for the latch bar mechanism for the dump bed. It keeps the dust from coming up between the rear of the cab and the dump bed.

-Kris

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think more people use the Kolpin than the SATV. (I could be wrong). Kolpin's picture shows it under what looks to be the can-am roof. I don't have a windshield, but it will be my next accessory, it will be a Kolpin, and I have the Can-Am roof. I also have the Can-am rear view mirror, and like it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
As to what we all call the Kolpin tilt windshield, Kolpin is just one of the companies that market the same windshield. It is the one can am sells as their tilt windshield. The one I have is the same but it had a different name, like new directions or something like that. I can dig the name out if anyone needs it. I found it on ebay and it was substantially cheaper than the SATV windshield or the one marketed as Kolpin. I've seen it with a different name too. I'm not sure about the sport roof, I have the two piece can am roof and it works fine with it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
As to what we all call the Kolpin tilt windshield, Kolpin is just one of the companies that market the same windshield. It is the one can am sells as their tilt windshield. The one I have is the same but it had a different name, like new directions or something like that. I can dig the name out if anyone needs it. I found it on ebay and it was substantially cheaper than the SATV windshield or the one marketed as Kolpin. I've seen it with a different name too. I'm not sure about the sport roof, I have the two piece can am roof and it works fine with it.
Is yours like the SATV or the Kolpin? I think "new directions" is a boy band......that's just awful.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Is yours like the SATV or the Kolpin? I think "new directions" is a boy band......that's just awful.

It’s just like a Kolpin. Same windshield. Branded differently.

So, you like boy bands do you...? LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Only real diff between Kolpin and SUATV is how far they flip up, Kolpin has a two stage much lower flipped up position while the SUATV has shocks and can go from partial open positions to all the way up and I think that is when it's going to interfere the roof. I would call and ask if I had to do it over my choice would be the SUATV style as the locking lever for settings is in the middle and the shocks hold the outsides still, when cruising you get major wobble in the center section of the Kolpin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info. I've heard about the wobble from the Kolpins being supported at the edge so with that and also with wanting it to open completely I was leaning towards a SATV windshield but seems it just won't work. I was hoping someone would jump in and say that they're just being super conservative and you can make it work. I'm guessing it would still work just only in the closed and slightly open position.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ryfab is the best windshield that i ever put on my buggy . https://www.ryfab.com/product-page/canam-commander-kit
That is really a sweet looking setup. I like that.

To the OP, I don't know what the issue is with your roof not working with the SATV windshield. I have an Audioformz roof on mine and with my SATV windshield clodes there is a gap at the top that when it is cold or rainy out it I get a lot of cold air or rain through. I used to stuff a pool noodle on there but I came up with an alternative that works great. In this thread if you go to post #16 I show how I solved my problem.

https://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/58546-get-her-put-back-together-2.html

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To the OP, I don't know what the issue is with your roof not working with the SATV windshield. I have an Audioformz roof on mine and with my SATV windshield clodes there is a gap at the top that when it is cold or rainy out it I get a lot of cold air or rain through.
The gap isn't the issue it is the roof's overhang. I think when the SATV windshield would be all the way open the windshield is hitting the overhang of the front of the roof and would be rubbing while your riding and not open all the way. Was hoping someone maybe had a work around or that it wasn't that bad.

A lot of the roofs I see shown with the SATV windshield don't go past the roll cage bar much so you don't have that huge overhang.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts